Spitting

Stuartg

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm having a bit of a war on spitting. Do others find it disgusting? Itell players that others don't want to find themselves rolling about in someone's spit.

In 40 years of rugby, squash and running I've never once found the need to spit. If I did I'd just swallow it!

What do others think?

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
seriously? in the land of baseball we spit all the time...I honestly have never noticed nor do I care.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sometimes there's a wave of really gluey 'orrible phlegm that's just going to come up again in five minutes if I swallowed it. If I do have to gob, I always find a moment to do it discreetly and off the pitch.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
adam ant circa 1978, "ants don't spit."

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
There was a young man from Darjeeling
Who got on a bus bound for Ealing.
A notice he saw
Said "Don't spit on the floor",
So he stood up and spat on the ceiling.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Stuart

Sounds like a bee in your bonnet that would be better off flying free.

Serious excercise can cause serious throat mucous, and swallowing invites nausea, which does not help competitive advantage. Better out than in!

gwgs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Mouth guards don't help, always had to spit when playing, but very rarely doing other sport.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Disgusting habit, and lazy attitude. We all need to do it at times, but do it discreetly.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I was watching a DVD of one of my games the other day and I was refereeing with a cold and the sound that game through on the mic was pretty bad. Although I guess it was better than not being able to breathe.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
This thread so reminds me a of a comedy sketch from the 1980's. I can't remember who it was (might have been "Not the Nine O'Clock News"?)

It lampooned the Match of the Day "Best Goals" where they would show several goals and labelled them "Goal A", Goal B", "Goal C" etc and viewers would pick the best one and try to match it to the "expert" picks.

But in the sketch, it was slow motion replays of footballers spitting, and they were labelled "Gob A", Gob B", Gob C".

Quite hilarious at the time.