Squad size

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
22 apparently. iRB Reg 15:
15.2 Replacements and Substitutes in Matches in which a National Representative Team is playing:

15.2.1 (a) Not more than 7 Players are to be available under Law 3 as
replacements or substitutes. The Players nominated as replacements
or substitutes may be changed into kit ready to play, but they must be
seated in the stand (where available) or in some other suitable
designated area within the playing enclosure, but not on the touchline.
Replacements or substitutes shall not enter the playing area until
permitted to do so by a Match Official.

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
That could vary under the 6N competition rules. No, I don't have a copy. A tier or so too high for this particular 4th :)

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Do you mean 22 / 23 man "teams"? :wink:

Last edited:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
6N rules are childishly simple - they make no mention of squad sizes.
1. The RBS 6 Nations Championship is contested each season over seven weekends during February, March and sometimes April by the international sides of France England, Ireland, Italy, Scotland and Wales.

2. Each team plays the other five once per season with home advantage in alternate seasons (eg England hosted France in 2003, and so France host England in 2004), giving a total of 15 matches per Championship.

3. The RBS 6 Nations Championship Trophy is presented to the team who earn the most points during the season, with 2 points being awarded for a win, and 1 point for a drawn match.
If two or more teams finish the Championship with the same number points, the winner is decided on match-points difference (subtracting match-points 'against' from match-points 'for' in all Championship matches). If there is still no winner, then it is awarded to the team who scored the most tries during the Championship.
If after all this a winner still cannot be decided then the Championship is shared between the teams.

4. If in winning the Championship a team also wins all of their five matches, they are given the title of 'Grand Slam' winner.

5. There is also the title of 'Triple Crown' competed for each season, which is awarded if a team from the 4 Home Unions (England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales) beats each of the other 3 Home Unions.

gwgs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Now why is it that the England vs Wales match has been on the first weekend for 5 years out of the last 7 (inc. this year)?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Now why is it that the England vs Wales match has been on the first weekend for 5 years out of the last 7 (inc. this year)?

Hmmm, could it be planned, has there been a leek :biggrin:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

Why - what's the problem?

Grand Slam and Triple Crown shot down in flames before week # 2?:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

gwgs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Why - what's the problem?

Grand Slam and Triple Crown shot down in flames before week # 2?:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Hah, no, I'm Englishman living in Wales.

Just curious, I know the home and away fixtures rotate annually and I was wondering on the order of teams playing.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hah, no, I'm Englishman living in Wales.

Just curious, I know the home and away fixtures rotate annually and I was wondering on the order of teams playing.

I think they try and organise the fixtures so the Grand Slam decider match goes on the final weekend (i.e. top two teams playing each other). I think this year it is England and France? :p

gwgs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I'll tell my Welsh house mate, he'd loved that reasoning. :biggrin: