Stree Coping Strategies Employed by Referees

sgoat

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Stress Coping Strategies Employed by Referees

A friend of mine at uni is doing a survey of referees in England for his dissertation. If you fit into this category and have 15 minutes to spare, please could you give it a go.

So far I understand he has about 60 results including 4 elite referees and he is hoping to increase his sample size and breadth of refereeing experience.

Below is the blurb from the survey and a link.

Dear Referee

My name is Fergus Kirby and I am in the final year of my Sport BA(Hons) degree at Durham University and am currently writing my dissertation on the 'stressful experiences and stress coping strategies employed by rugby union referees'. As a referee myself it is something that has always interested me how different referees deal with stress and anxiety in the job that we do. My dissertation requires me to complete a piece of independent research that will be a basis for my final year mark. To complete the study I need to conduct a survey of as many referees within England as possible.

The link below (you might have to copy and paste it into your search bar) will take you to an online survey consisting of 60 questions that should take you no more than 15 minutes to complete. I would be hugely grateful if you could complete it and share your experience of stress and how you deal with it. https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/QPMLGGN

Last edited:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Done it.

I'm off to breath into a paper bag now!!:biggrin:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Couple of guys it is worth Fergus contacting are

Matt Kiernan (Hampshire & Navy L7) who is a RN Psychiatric Nurse (two ringer possibly ?) who has just done his PhD and has an excellent Society presentation on referees handling stress / conflict.

Mikel Mellick - RFU Panel Development Unit psychologist

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Matt Kiernan (Hampshire & Navy L7) who is a RN Psychiatric Nurse (two ringer possibly ?) who has just done his PhD and has an excellent Society presentation on referees handling stress / conflict.

Seen it twice :clap: :clap: :clap:

Two and a half.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
bloody colonials ! we are fighting a war in Afghanistan with the American colonies as senior partners - I was under the impression the Canada colonies were involved too ( well I know they are).

Matt has two gold rings (and it appears according to Phil a half too) on his sleeves in the Royal Navy, and has served in theatre and now in rehabilitation units. I thought Canada still had a Navy, unlike the Kiwis who have a few inshore rub-a-dubs left.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes

Bloody hell I didnt know Matt was a referee, or in the Navy for that matter? worked with him at Haslar for my sins :D

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
'stressful experiences and stress coping strategies employed by rugby union referees'

Would this include dealing with Chopper? :p

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Bloody hell I didnt know Matt was a referee, or in the Navy for that matter? worked with him at Haslar for my sins :D

Matt has done a lot of work with PTS sufferers returning from the aforementioned parts too.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Matt has done a lot of work with PTS sufferers returning from the aforementioned parts too.

I will have to look him up, he was in the Army last time I saw him, wonder why he went to the navy?? Crazy eh? :rolleyes: