Stuart Dickinson

FKlopper

Post Likes
The announcement may have slipped under the radar due to the World Cup, but yesterday Stuart Dickinson announced his immediate retirement from all forms of rugby.

http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsArticle/tabid/1699/ArticleID/4577/Default.aspx

Australia’s most celebrated referee Stu Dickinson has announced his retirement, effectively immediately, at the age of 43.

Dickinson was in charge of an Australian record 47 Test matches after controlling his first international in 1997 when Tahiti played Papua New Guinea in a Rugby World Cup qualifier.

He went on to referee at the highest level of the game for 15 seasons, officiating at three Rugby World Cup tournaments – the 1999 event in Wales, 2003 in Australia and 2007 in France.

He also had the honour of winning the inaugural Referee of the Year Award at the annual John Eales Medal evening in 2009 and again in 2010, as well as the Super Rugby Australian Referee of the Year award on a record seven occasions.

Dickinson started refereeing at the age of 12, while he was also playing fly-half and fullback for Epping Boys High School.

He has been employed as a full time referee with Australian Rugby Union since 1997 and also controlled 98 Super Rugby matches – an Australian and tournament record.

Australian Rugby Union Managing Director and CEO, John O’Neill AO, paid tribute to Dickinson today.

“Throughout his career at the international level, Stu was among the best referees in the world,” said Mr O’Neill.

“His ability to control a match with empathy for not only the laws of the game but the spirit of the game was a feature of his time in the middle.

“The achievements he has collected over a long period of time, after refereeing his first Test at the age of just 29, are testament to his ability and his commitment to refereeing.”

Australian Rugby Union’s National Referee Coach, Andrew Cole, said Dickinson had proved himself as one of the world’s best over many seasons.

“You’ve only got to read Stuart’s CV to see what a massive part of the refereeing landscape he has been for many years,” Cole said.

“Not only has he enjoyed longevity in his career but he has also performed at a consistently high standard over that time, which has presented him with a shelf full of referee awards and for me that is the biggest tribute he can be paid.

“His career has had many more highs than lows, but the way he has bounced back from the lows shows not only his determination but also his strength of character and that he is a true role model for referees young and old.

“Stuart will be sorely missed, his contribution to Rugby has been immense and it’s great that he can leave on his own terms.”

Dickinson said he had thoroughly enjoyed his career in refereeing and the journey it had taken him on.

“It’s not often people get to turn their hobby into a career and for that I am eternally grateful,” Dickinson said.

“To have been able to travel the world and take the field with some of the best players the game has ever seen has been a huge honour.

“I want to thank my wife Fiona and our three children Michael, Emily and Isabella who have been incredibly supportive, understanding and patient over the course of my career and I look forward to spending more time with my family in the months and years ahead.

“I also want to thank the ARU and my Australian and international colleagues, the camaraderie and friendships I have made over my time in the game will be truly cherished.

“My decision to hang up the whistle I believe is the right one, as I now have a good opportunity to move into the commercial world and leave the game feeling as though I’ve achieved all I set out to achieve.”

Dickinson has completed a Masters Degree in International Sports Management through Southern Cross University.

May not have been my favourite referee, but good luck to Stu in his new career.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
birthday_clipart_party.gif

Can't say that I am even remotely sorry to see him go.

IMO, he has been one of the worst international referees to blow the whistle in the last 20 years (perhaps only Jim Fleming was worse)

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes

IMO, he has been one of the worst international referees to blow the whistle in the last 20 years (perhaps only Jim Fleming was worse)

Can't say I expected anything other than that comment Ian.
Now that Stu has retired, you will no doubt have a lot of spare time on your hands. You'll need a new hobby.

Best of luck for the future SD.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes

****ing hell. From the country that gave, and continues to give, us Bryce, that's a brave statement!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Italians give AB scrum a bath & its the ref's fault? Haw, haw, haw.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

You may think that but both Jim and Stu were still better than you.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Jim was one of 2 Scotsman in the 1987 RWC Final.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
What an informative thread! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

RugbyGeek

Referees in England
Post Likes
Have to admit - not a lot of Saffers will be upset that he has retired.....as I'm sure will be the case for a lot of New South Welshman when Kaplan retires...:pepper:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I thought he was that orange antique bloke off "Flog It" :wtf:

Mike Selig

Referees in England
Post Likes
I find Ian's post unnecessarily vindictive. Certainly when at his peak Stu was a far better referee than Brycie, the welsh guy, and probably a few others who have refereed internationals, although he was never my favourite. I wish him all the best in the future.

B52 REF

Referees in England
Post Likes
well said mike- i liked the fella- though not all of his performances- and thats despite him trashing my tmo room in rwc07 in a petulant hissyfit.

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
Had no problem at all with his refereeing. As an AR he liked to step in, but then don't they all - you see so much more from the touchline! (well on the blind side anyway)

He has been an asset to the game and deserves every success in his future life...

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I find Ian's post unnecessarily vindictive. Certainly when at his peak Stu was a far better referee than Brycie, the welsh guy, and probably a few others who have refereed internationals, although he was never my favourite. I wish him all the best in the future.

Sorry, but I stand by what I said. He has pulled too many rabbits out of hats over the years for me to rate him at all. A friend of mine at the TAB tells me that there are only two referees in Super 15 who they factor in when setting the betting odds on matches, Dickinson is one of them (Bryce Lawrence is the other) and that in itself speaks volumes.

San Siro was probably his final straw internationally; he never refereed a 6N or 3N match after that, which pretty much tells me that he was on the outer with the IRB Referee selectors as well.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

****ing hell. From the country that gave, and continues to give, us Bryce, that's a brave statement!

Pmsl SS :cool:

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I wish all referees international, elite and grassroots all the best when they hang their boots up, whether I liked them or not.

Rugby is a game where after the final whistle is blown we have a beer and leave as friends.

peperami

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Having had the pleasure of meeting the guy a number of times, I have to say he's a genuine Rugby guy.

Before now he has shown up at the National Schools 7 before doing a 6 nations game on the Saturday and made time to chat to all the referees.

Nice bloke and as a referee seemed to be better than average amongst the international guys.

Good luck to him

Ben