Stuart Dickinson

Richard smith

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k126Er5Lrts

Stuart dickinson from Oz has been and done a masters degree is International Sport Management from southern Cross university

Should more of the elite referees look at life after rugby as Stuart has done????

Please discuss

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't think there are many refs that haven't got a career built up before they become professional so I would think they would fall back into that field.

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yup, what Dr Stu said - most of them have professions before they embark full-time as referees.

Even the full-time ones are encouraged to "keep their hand in" in the real world.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Not all Elite referees are full time professionals and those that are will have had careers before they started anyway. Peraps there are some younger guys coming through who do not have that pre-officiating career, and they are advised well by RFU Elite management to develop their non-rugby qualifications.

Any sportsman (player of match official) should make adequate provision and acquire educational / professional qualifications as the elite sporting life can end very quickly. The past trend of them moving into Union jobs (e.g. elite official management) is not going to be there as thje jobs are now filled (for some years).

Intertesting to hear Stu was with an airline, then a policeman and in logistics before becoming a pro referee.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
well, in the same way I admire an alcoholic who stays on the wagon I admire you know who for keeping the lid on his pen. But I kinda miss "he's the worst ref of all time", "robbed us against the Italians", etc. :nz: