[In-goal] Tackle from field of play into in-goal

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I was reading the Danny Care try thread (https://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread.php?22041-Danny-Care-Try) and had a question - is it a tackle if it initially occurs on the field of play but ends up in-goal?

Rather than hijack that thread, I thought I’d break it out.

Consider the scenario: The ball carrier is running toward goal, and is legally tackled just short of goal. The ball carrier is brought down cleanly but momentum rolls the ball carrier and tackler onto their backs and carries both players into in-goal.

Does the tackler have to release since a tackle occurred or does it cease to be a tackle once they slide into in-goal since the principal of Law 14 has tackles only occur in the field of play which by definition excludes in-goal (and we’re back to the how long do give the players to ground the ball before calling held up).

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Have to see it really, but if as I’m imagining it and the tackle doesn’t complete till in goal then I’m not expecting the tackler to roll, but I’m also not going to let them scrabble around for long - probably as long as it takes for momentum to stop them moving and a second or so to ground it else held up

Treadmore

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Does the tackler have to release NO since a tackle occurred or

does it cease to be a tackle YES once they slide into in-goal since the principal of Law 14 has tackles only occur in the field of play which by definition excludes in-goal