Tackle question.

Richyb

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Hello guys. Apologies for my basic question I’m just trying to get a better understanding of the rules of the game which can be very complicated at first!

My question is two fold.

When a player has been tackled why do players form a caterpillar of players over the ball without a ruck being formed, gradually passing the ball to the back player. What is the tactical advantage of subsequent players binding to the person in front.

My second question is if the ball has made it back to the third person in this caterpillar(for example), what stops and opponent from lunging forward and taking possession of this ball from the feet of this player(lunger stays on feet).

In the circumstances described a ruck would not have formed(as the opposing players are not bound), the player challenging for possession would have came from the direction of their own goal. The only thing I can think is that they would then be offside as they would no longer be the hindmost player(from the direction of their their end of the field) as the front most player of the opposition (caterpillar) would then become the offside line which the player attempting to handle the ball has now passed.

But if this is the case, what stops anybody in the tackle area from being offside. As subsequent players bind surely all players in front of the rearmost players are now ahead of the offside line but playing the ball.

I hope this makes slight sense.

Thanks!

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
There was a law application update in 2022 around side entry.
Side Entry Guidelines - 2022
TLDR: You have to drive through the middle of the tackle to get to the ball. The caterpillar moves it further away from the opponents and as long as the players join through the back gate on their side and are bound they are part of the tackle and the ball becomes harder to get to or charge down.
1707596559606.png

Richyb

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Thanks very much for the reply. I can’t see any of the laws which dictate a player must arrive “square” into the tackle area. Can you let me know which applied. Thanks

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
14.6 & 14.8c: "from the direction of their own goal line".

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Great graphic @Volun-selected

Now if only it was applied, I was thinking initially about consistency but actually if it was applied at all it would be a massive improvement to the tackle area!

Richyb

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Maybe I’m reading into this a bit too much but, what does “from the direction of their own goaline mean”? I’ve always been a bit confused by this term. For example, if the players are at far left field close to the touch line tacklers approaching could still join at quite the angle whilst still approaching from the direction of their goaline. Please see my very bad graphic.

Attachments

• IMG_3187.jpeg
    IMG_3187.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 9

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
In your image I would interpret the direction as principally E>W and therefore unacceptable.

"Having squared up" is the key phrase for me so spines in line with touch, north - south, coming through the gate, not latching and then swinging body round or actually running a blocking line in front and then cutting in as per your graphic, as we often see.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
what does “from the direction of their own goaline mean”? I’ve always been a bit confused by this term. For example, if the players are at far left field close to the touch line tacklers approaching could still join at quite the angle whilst still approaching from the direction of their goaline. Please see my very bad graphic.
Simple put, your goal line is relative to the goal you are defending, so back toward “your” posts and looking at your opponents goal.

In your example, it’s hard to tell where the posts are - but if I assume the bottom is the touch line and the in-goal is to the left, then the tackler (your red) arrow can tackle from any angle as long as onside.

However, once the tackle is made there are offside lines (solid black and red straight lines) and the supporting red P players have to get onside, square up, and then join the tackle from their onside with their backs to the goal line. Similarly, supporting black P players must also square up, and come through the back of the tackle with their backs the their goal line.
IMG_3187.jpeg