The Grammar School at Leeds - anyone know about them?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Just got home from the game. Local club colts (Powerhouse) vs. Leeds 1st XV.

Absolutely pleasurable event. Finsihed the night with a "sing off" - Leeds chants vs. local hakas. Great stuff.

On the field, both teams played fast, physical and high skilled rugby with very little foul play. The Leeds team a little surprised by the physicality of the primarily Islander opposition.

Final score 19-5 to local team.

Leeds have some wheels in the backline - watch out.

Leeds have a solid scrum, an excellent lineout and a good kicking game. Very well drilled at the breakdown.

They have brought 3 teams - 1st and 2nd XV and an U16 team.

Any Jamie Peacock soundalikes? No? I thought not! :biggrin:

Well played by the way. Up Scumbag! Up Scumbag!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
"We're going to thrash the Oiks! We're going to thrash the Oiks"

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Just got the appointment - I'm doing the 1st XV

Son will likely be playing in the 2nd XV which will work well

Should be interesting. These will be the first games on our brand new artificial grass pitch.

(As its a dual use pitch I just need to remember that the yellow lines are for rugby and the white are for soccer !!)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
good luck -- but why you ? isn't it a bit odd for your Society to appoint a ref whose son attends and plays for the school ?
we would normally avoid that.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
good luck -- but why you ? isn't it a bit odd for your Society to appoint a ref whose son attends and plays for the school ?
we would normally avoid that.

We arent a school, we are a club, and I'm not doing his game (plus it is not my club). I get appointed to his club (not his team) reasonably regularly, as the appointments officer knows its not feasible for me to get between 2 different grounds on a Sunday afternoon, especially to find games that fit my "tiering".

In any case, all 3 games (1st XV, 2nd XV and Under 16's) are classed as "Tier 1" games by Sydney Junior RU and there are only a small number of Tier 1 referees in Sydney, an even smaller number available on a Monday night, and a yet smaller number who want to travel to the northern side of Sydney for a game.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
And I guess it's only a friendly

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
TigerCraig,

how did the Leeds games & tour finish up?

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
TigerCraig,

how did the Leeds games & tour finish up?

Very well. Unfortunately we ended up not using the artifical pitch but stayed on the grass one.

My son played in the 2nd XV game which was a very interesting contrast in styles. Leeds scored in the first few minutes with a driving maul from a lineout and wanted to play the whole game in the forwards. Forest kept either kicking long to the corners with very good chasing by the wings, or throwing the ball out the backline at every chance - almost no structured forward play. Forest ended up winning 22-12 or so.

First XV was pretty much one way traffic for Leeds, as the Forest team was really a thrown together barbarian team so lacked cohesion. Forest tried hard but it finished 30-something to nil. No great controversies. One yellow card to Forest for repeated infringements - I probably let it go one too many before I went to the pocket than I would in a regular competition match.

My advantages probably went a little longer than Leeds were used to at first - they wanted penalties so they could use their dominant lineout (but we got a try from one of my advantages which led to a smile between me and their skipper). I penalised ball carriers for not rolling away following a counter ruck a couple of times which they didn't seem to undertstand at first. Also I missed an early sack on a lineout jumper - although it wasn't dangerous it upset the Leeds boys at first.