The Should Of thread

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Re: I suggest we trial dropping TMO “Protocols”.

at the risk of upsetting my fellow pedants i've reported this thread to the mods, in the hope they'll intervene and ask us all to play nicely and refrain from pedanticism...

Or pedantry! :biggrin:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Re: I suggest we trial dropping TMO “Protocols”.

Careful Browner or the Grandma police will be after you:rc::rc::rc:

Careful for what ? .... I can't see that I've made a post ...... ( cue twighlight zone music) :chin:. You must be dreaming Chrisj

When the GP interject, best to merely retort with "there their they're"

However my favourite is :
images

Last edited:

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Great thread hijack.
Despite attending a Grammar School my English is pretty poor, I hated the subject.
My one pet hate is "Can I get a ...." instead of "Please can I have a ...." (usually a skinny latte frappuccino or other such crap)

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Fcuk taht was birliant Ftaty!

So not olny do I lkie turtles, but I like trutels too!

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.
The explanation is false. People actually rely heavily on the shape of a word. I remember one experiment where the Prime Minister's name and address was flashed briefly on a screen. Everybody recognised it immediately even though there were numerous misprints - all of which had roughly the same shape as the correct letter eg "e" for "o" or "c".

Note that the mini-anagrams leave most grammatical markers unchanged. The restriction means that all 3-letter words (and, the, for, are) are unaffected, and four-letter words (that, what, only) are easy anagrams. This gives you a head start on the structure of the sentences. However I bet everyone had to slow down to solve the longer words.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The explanation is false. People actually rely heavily on the shape of a word. I remember one experiment where the Prime Minister's name and address was flashed briefly on a screen. Everybody recognised it immediately even though there were numerous misprints - all of which had roughly the same shape as the correct letter eg "e" for "o" or "c".

Note that the mini-anagrams leave most grammatical markers unchanged. The restriction means that all 3-letter words (and, the, for, are) are unaffected, and four-letter words (that, what, only) are easy anagrams. This gives you a head start on the structure of the sentences. However I bet everyone had to slow down to solve the longer words.

...or even the shorter ones: can anyone decode "fdreins" without looking back at the context and spending a few seconds working it out?

Regardless: misspelling may not make the meaning indecipherable, but it slows down the deciphering process.

It's a matter of common courtesy for me; if I want to be understood, it's up to me to make the effort to ensure that my message is clear, and I shouldn't force my audience (such as it may be by now) to do the work.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
people should of course try and communicate clearly.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Great thread hijack.
Despite attending a Grammar School my English is pretty poor, I hated the subject.
My one pet hate is "Can I get a ...." instead of "Please can I have a ...." (usually a skinny latte frappuccino or other such crap)

or even "Please may I have a ..."

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Great thread hijack.

HONNNNNKKKKKKKK!!!!!!

Last edited:

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Re: Re : I suggest we trial dropping TMO “Protocols”.

...didn't Robbie take a stance over this a while ago by asking for a stop to all grammar pedanticism :)biggrin:)?
Something like that ; He asked if "referees always need to be so pedantic?" Though he was speaking about leggings/black boots ; others quickly mentioned the "local" grammar police.

also worth a browse :
Change in Forum Rules.
Robbie said:
Remember please, it's a simple rule, if you can't say it, post it or write it at your work, or in your society newsletter/Website, then it probably shouldn't be posted here either.