throwing ball away to prevent a QTI

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
He does not have to make the QTI easy, he can legally dance one centimetre inside the 5m line which is probably just as good at stopping it.

It is being in the channel that is illegal. Unless of course he was in front of the kick when he is still offside.

Iron_Lung

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
My proposed solution to these issues

19.2 QUICK THROW-IN

(h) At a quick throw-in, a player must not prevent, nor move or stand in a position to prevent the ball being thrown in 5 metres.
Sanction: Free Kick on 15-metre line

(i) Players of the team putting or taking the ball into touch must not take any action that prevents their opponents from taking a quick thrown in. This includes throwing the ball away, intentionally touching the ball and failing to release the ball to an opposition player.
Sanction: Penalty kick on 15-metre line

I'd agree with both of those changes. I wasn't disagreeing with you earlier about the need for sanction, just that it wasn't adequately clarified in law. I think both of these changes would close out the issue and ensure players and refs understood what was expected.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I like the idea of a competition to be the first team to touch the ball, and that touch either enabling or denying the possibility of a QTI.
It would be an real echo of rugby's roots -- that first touch was how it was originally decided which team should throw the ball in.

Iron_Lung

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I like the idea of a competition to be the first team to touch the ball, and that touch either enabling or denying the possibility of a QTI.
It would be an real echo of rugby's roots -- that first touch was how it was originally decided which team should throw the ball in.

This assumes that no one else such as a supporter or support staff had touched the ball? What about advertising signs or the AR?

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
So you would be happy to allow a player to throw the ball away to prevent a QTI?

Just back in ... NO - releasing and throwing away are completely different acts. I would penalise throwing away under 19.2(i), although I accept reversion to 10.4(m), or 10.2(a), if I felt that a suspension was required because it was so egregious.

But touching the ball to prevent a QTI is gamesmanship and good knowledge of the Laws. It is not (yet) a proscribed action, just as dancing around at 5.01 cm from the touch-line to disadvantage the QTI is allowed.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I like the idea of a competition to be the first team to touch the ball,
That was in fact the origin of the term "touch". In the early days the first player to touch the ball down once it had gone out of bounds, had the right to return it to play.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
That was in fact the origin of the term "touch". In the early days the first player to touch the ball down once it had gone out of bounds, had the right to return it to play.

Erm, Crossref said that in para 2.