[Law] throwing the ball into touch

trendylfj

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Can someone please clarify an argument on Tigers Fans forum regarding throwing the ball into touch in the opposition 5m area following either a penalty or a free kick. It is my belief that you cannot do this unless you are opting for a retaken line out. I believe that this is not throwing the ball into touch but getting rid of the ball after opting for the retake and waiting for a new ball from the ball boy/girl which all hookers do. If it is a penalty not involving a line out ie offside/scrum offence etc then you must kick the ball into touch and cannot just throw it. Some people are talking about a "new law" which is aimed at speeding play up. Here is a quote:

"
There was a televised match about 6 weeks ago when the ball was thrown into touch on the 5 metre line. The BT commentary team explained that there had been a law change and it was now permissable to do so. Nothing to do with a new/clean ball or it having to be 'kicked' as in penalty kick. Please don't ask where you find it 'cos I haven't the foggiest."

Is this true?????

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
have you got a video?

I suspect it was exactly what you say : PK offence at a line out, and the non-offending team opted for another line-out. Under the new law you don't have to kick it out, you just opt (saves time). Having opted, the player holding the ball threw it away because, as you say, in pro-rugby it's customary to use a fresh ball for each lineout.

this is only for PK at a lineout. For any other PK you can't opt -- you have to actually kick it out.

but we should look at a video to see if that was really what happened.

Last edited: