Time for ST to blow a gasket!

big fish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Anybody watching Scarlets v Leinster? Not only is Nigel Owens wearing a visible undershirt but he is also wearing GLOVES!!!!!!

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Nigel is loosing it I am afraid - hope he doesn't go same way as Steve Walsh (for different reasons).

I hear a lot of dis-content and concern is brewing with his unilateral style and approach (not following IRB or WRU protocols), boots (and sponsorship deal), and increasing time spent as a gay icon and public speaking events.

PS no problems with the undershirt -I wear one (thanks to London Soc and Rosslyn Park National Schools Sevens sponsors)

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
You have to ask youself about the amount of attention Owens draws to himself on the pitch.

I've always thought the amount of sponsored kit he wears (and chance to wear anything with Underarmour on and he'll grab it), sweat bands, bloody white boots and now gloves!

Personally I don't have an issue with him wearing a base layer of gloves because in this weather I think it's common sense and as someone who suffers from poor circulation in the hands I know what a nightmare it can be when your hands freeze.

But he's become a walking bloody advert for sponsors, and the WRU should do something.

And I couldn't care less what he does off the pitch regarding being a gay icon. Frankly it's none of my business.

Must be something about the Welsh - James Jones is another one who can't resist fake tan, spangly boots and overuse of wax in his hair!!

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
just to be very clear about the gay icon etc stuff -I have no issue with that, but I do when it affects his paid job - which it is.

if my referee-ing, assessor and Society roles affect my job then the rugby would get dropped immediately

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
whereas my work means that i can't get to the gym, which means that i can't shake off my condition, which means i can't referee. so i'm hoping to change jobs :)

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
just watched last 5 mins and Nigel managed that very well.................and Sexton was a complete idiot.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
ok ST, we get it, you're not homophobic :biggrin: :wink: :p

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
In fairness to NO this evening was the first time I have ever seen him wearing gloves and living just 15 mins from Parc Y Scarlets I can confirm the weather tonight was particularly bitter. Believe me if you saw the game on the TV, the pictures didn't convey how cold it really was. :(

Last edited:

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
and what did you think of him speaking in Welsh to the Welsh players to tell them what htey were doing wrong etc? Even JD thought it a bit off.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
any different to Wayne Barnes speaking English when he referees Scotland vs France?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
and what did you think of him speaking in Welsh to the Welsh players to tell them what htey were doing wrong etc? Even JD thought it a bit off.
To an extent, I can see Jonothan Davies' point (that he should limit everything to english) but what Nigel Owens was saying to the players was pretty basic stuff eg telling the scrum half to put it in straight, telling him to throw the ball in quicker at scrums, telling another player where the mark for a PK was etc etc.

Last edited:

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
ok, i'll give you that :)

any different from Alain Rolland speaking French when he referees England vs France?

:wink:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
ok, i'll give you that :) any different from Alain Rolland speaking French when he referees England vs France? :wink:
As long as no side gains an advantage whatever language is used, I'd have no problem with Rolland speaking French occasionally. I'm guessing here that not every French player speaks fluent english.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
ah, i guess that's where the scenarios differ. i presume there are no Welsh players who only speak Welsh...

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
I don't have a particular issue with the use of a players preferred language. However, when you have a referee from the country of one of the sides it could be seen to have an ulterior motivation. It's probably best to void any possible miss-interpretation by the other side of the motives behind such practices.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Probably just showing off that he can use 2 languages.
It would have been nice to throw in a bit of Gaelic for the Leinster lads but they wouldn't have understood it.
As for gloves, very sensible. Iwill wear them no matter who is assessing me if it helps me hold a pencil during the game.
Under shirt had to be worn as people still insist on buying rugby players and refs short sleeved kit.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
ok ST, we get it, you're not homophobic :biggrin: :wink: :p

Dave - nothing to do with homophobia - interesting perception; if Nigel (or any other "professional" referee) was a Christian Scientist, had a passion for global warming, was into steam trains or whatever, if it interferes with his performance in a job he is being paid for (or even as an elite volunteer) then it needs to be addressed.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
A TV ref is miked up, so listeners can hear what he says (provided Stuart Barnes keeps quiet). The last census showed that even in Wales only a minority are fluent in Welsh. Reverting to Welsh under those circumstances seems inappropriate.