Time Off For Scrum Collapse

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Or just "what I would love to see at elite level scrum time is for the refs to implement the laws that are there." ;)
Heh, yes. I find Rucks to be even further from the mark on what the elite level refs allow them to get away with.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
strewth. rucks aka everyone throws their bodies ontop/over/past and the ball gets buried.

FFS.

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
strewth. rucks aka everyone throws their bodies ontop/over/past and the ball gets buried.

FFS.
It's frankly ridiculous and has always grinded my gears. I don't know when it went so south, or why the elite level refs don't manage it better, but it sets a bad display for the younger crowd and those learning at the grassroots level.

I can understand in the case of an uncontested ruck, the lead rucker of the team in possession accidentally falls forward and resets himself immediately and the ball is played rather immediately, so that none of it actually impacted the game negatively, and stopping the game as reaction to that would be worse. Yes, play on. But as you mentioned, it's rather commonplace for rucks to be a mash of multiple bodies from both sides flopped over in every direction, killing fast ball play. Or even when it's one sided, and the flopped players are from the team in possession of the ball, now it's not even contestable by the opposing team anymore.

Totally agree with Shelflife, in regards to rucks. Need more penalizing at the mash messes.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Interesting that in FRA v SA BoK took time off for the collapsed scrums when time was almost up, but in the earlier game ENG v FIJ Matthieu Reynal did not, in exactly the same situation...
I noticed the same thing in the Eng v SA semi-final... I think it can be argued both ways and is hard to be certain what is best... when England were defending a lead at 75 minutes it was arguably in their interest to have a scrum reset and waste time (Eng possibly the offenders), however, maybe the scrums are collapsing because SA are chasing the game and getting desperate, so they are getting an early push or other means to destabilise the Eng pack.

Personally, if you wouldn't stop the clock for scrum reset in the 60th minute, then don't do it in the 75th minute.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Personally, if you wouldn't stop the clock for scrum reset in the 60th minute, then don't do it in the 75th minute.
but teams don't often try to use scrums to waste time in the 60th minute -- but they certainly do in the 75th !
I think stopping the clock is often the best way to manage that out

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
but teams don't often try to use scrums to waste time in the 60th minute -- but they certainly do in the 75th !
I think stopping the clock is often the best way to manage that out
My point is, unless you know which side is causing the time wasting, either through wanting to run down the clock or being silly buggers that has the side effect of wasting time, then you don't actually know if the team benefiting is the culprit.

For example, in my example of Eng v SA, if the SA pack are playing silly buggers forcing a reset until they get a perfect setup to compete, every time the clock stops is a benefit to them, because they are chasing... so you are rewarding the perpetrators. (Not saying SA did this, just an example situation.)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
My point is, unless you know which side is causing the time wasting, either through wanting to run down the clock or being silly buggers that has the side effect of wasting time, then you don't actually know if the team benefiting is the culprit.

For example, in my example of Eng v SA, if the SA pack are playing silly buggers forcing a reset until they get a perfect setup to compete, every time the clock stops is a benefit to them, because they are chasing... so you are rewarding the perpetrators. (Not saying SA did this, just an example situation.)
i guess if you don't know who are the perpetrators there is not much you can do

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
i guess if you don't know who are the perpetrators there is not much you can do
In which case, treat it like you would treat a scrum in the 60th minute regarding stopping the clock.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In which case, treat it like you would treat a scrum in the 60th minute regarding stopping the clock
I get the logic, but on the other hand I do think that all the players, both teams, do expect more careful clock management in the last five minutes (if it's close) .