Time to move forward, IRB?

uncle fester

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
One problem I have with law 10.4J is that the wording of it would seem to include dump tackles where the player is put on his ass/flat on his back because those tackles will nearly always end up with feet up in the air on impact with the ground.
The memo makes it clear that tip/spear tackles are the issue but the law book doesn't.

I had an issue in a game about a month ago when a member of the tackled player's team completely lost the plot when one of his teammates was dump tackled. I ended up having to issue a yellow card to the player who ended up emailing my branch and alleging that I was permitting players to spear tackle each other!

rugbydave

Referees in America
Post Likes
One problem I have with law 10.4J is that the wording of it would seem to include dump tackles where the player is put on his ass/flat on his back because those tackles will nearly always end up with feet up in the air on impact with the ground.
The memo makes it clear that tip/spear tackles are the issue but the law book doesn't.

[LAWS]Lifting a player from the ground and dropping or driving that player into the ground whilst
that player’s feet are still off the ground such that the player’s head and/or upper body
come into contact with the ground is dangerous play.[/LAWS]

The wording is pretty clear... what's confusing? Though, I would never use the word "whilst," not very American at all. "While" should be good enough.

There are two parts to this, lifting the player and then dropping or driving the player to the ground. This is not rocket science and should be easy to understand. There is NEVER a reason to tackle this way, to do so is to ignore the safety of others, it's that simple.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes

I had an issue in a game about a month ago when a member of the tackled player's team completely lost the plot when one of his teammates was dump tackled. I ended up having to issue a yellow card to the player who ended up emailing my branch and alleging that I was permitting players to spear tackle each other!
Fester - what is the difference between a dump tackle (which you approve of) and a tip or spear tackle (which I infer you don't)? I have to say I've always viewed the Dump and the Spear as identical, and just with a different name. Do you use the term "dump" tackle to denote one where the player is not taken beyond the horizontal, but if he was a red card for a spear would apply?