Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I just use the RFU cards.

Wedgie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I do keep a running total, viz:-

attachment.php

I don't think I have ever had a match where someone has not asked me the score and I (personally) don't think it looks v. professional if I don't give it (but that is another thread.....) In the past, I have made too many mistakes when trying to add up on the hoof (even after the match). I find it easier to add the 3, 5 or 7 immediately before (or whilst) trotting back to the half way line.

I take the time from my countdown stopwatch and the order of scoring is easy to visualize with the blank lines when trying to replay the match in my head.

Last season I had an U17s match that ended 43-45 (or something like that) and there losing team thought they had won - it was a bit footballer-y with half the team crowding around me ("But sir...."). However, my running total method kept me straight and they accepted the result in good grace.

Attachments

• card.PNG
    card.PNG
    9.9 KB · Views: 109
  • card.PNG
    card.PNG
    11.1 KB · Views: 216

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Last season I had an U17s match that ended 43-45 (or something like that) and there losing team thought they had won - it was a bit footballer-y with half the team crowding around me ("But sir...."). However, my running total method kept me straight and they accepted the result in good grace.

I hope they didn't turn down a kickable penalty in the last minutes!

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Why-Phil E, why not. Helps me later when drafting a thorough narrative report. In my area it's encouraged to be descriptive in post match reports. My memory doesn't keep those details as accurately as I'd like.
I also think teams will read up on opponent's ref reports to scout up coming matches. So&so's #10 scored 4 tries last game, good to know. Why my society encourages this, IDK.

Seems a bit strange. Match reports around here are all done by the teams (unless it's a big enough game that the local rag is there).

Our refs' match reports are typically something like:
Good conditions
Open game with good skill levels
Both teams competative
1 YC for repeat infringements
Final score

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Helps me later when drafting a thorough narrative report. In my area it's encouraged to be descriptive in post match reports.

I've never been asked to write a post match report?
Who asks you to write it and what's its purpose?

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Yeah, obviously it would need safeguards against such things.

I like Pegleg's phone app idea. I don't take my phone onto the pitch, but I have no need to. If I had a little app that could keep track of the score, time, cards (hey, could you get the phone to light up red or yellow?!), I probably would. And pray I didn't run out of battery.

Hope it doesn't rain.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
I use a small notepad (I think my current one has a waterproof cover) and either side of the page I record the time and score. If there is a card, I will also record that (and the player details) I need the times on the score as we are asked for current score in the YC and RC reports we make to the Union.

Huck2Spit

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I've never been asked to write a post match report?
Who asks you to write it and what's its purpose?
The society here uses the electronic internet to assign matches and to be credited for refereeing a match one must submit a post-match report on the society's web page. Can be brief as the score but a descriptive narrative is encouraged. A questionnaire about the host club is also part of the reporting there online. I believe the club who gets the highest marks earns an award from the society and possibly a monetary prize. So that's part of it.
Another part of the online report is being able to submit disciplinary reports for cards given, I assume so a panel can decide if further suspesion or discipline is due for RC's....So as for the narrative, knowing if it was a generally polite match versus handbags every other stoppage might be a reference for that panelists.
Maybe they like to have an archive... Don't know purpose. I'm just trying to comply with the request.
Reports can be publicly view:
www.nerugbyrefs.org

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
If people are worried that their scorecards get drenched, would a phone really be a good idea? I don't think so.

On the rare occasion I've had where it's hammered it down and the cards can turn to mush, I just ask the TJs to keep score as well.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I need the times on the score as we are asked for current score in the YC and RC reports we make to the Union.

I wonder what difference it makes to a punch on the nose whether the score is 12-all or 40-zip.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I wonder what difference it makes to a punch on the nose whether the score is 12-all or 40-zip.

I agree. But, it is something we have to put on the report as well.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Probably none for an individual incident, but if there was more than one it might help shed light on the tenor of the match. Overall there may be some statistical insights.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
We are asked for it in case the act of foul play had a material effect on the outcome of the match

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
We are asked for it in case the act of foul play had a material effect on the outcome of the match

How would you use such information?

Let's say a RC is issued at 15-3 against the home side.

It is justified and the score finishes:

15 -10

15 -40

23 -15

Or it is not justified and score finishes:

15 -10

15 -40

23 -15

what different outcomes would you expect to see? I can't see any difference. I would be interested to know as this one has got me.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
The RFU Discipline/Red Card Report requires the Time of Incident, in which Half, and Score at Time for Home Team and Away Team.

Presumably it ensures that all are talking about the same incident.

So you might as well ensure that you can fill in the RC report correctly. Of course that can be achieved by recording the score when the RC is issued rather than keeping a runing track.

However I will admit to the occasional BF and noting the minute beside each score has ensured that I do not annotate the same try twice, or indeed to forget to write it down (more likely in 7s). Stupid I know, how could that happen, but we are all fallible. (Otherwise why else would the Match Observer confirm the score with you, when he's been watching and making notes every minute!)

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Mate, it's laid out in Reg 17 as a consideration factor, don't blame me

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Odd. It seems to have no relevance to the issue. It would be interesting if someone knows the thinking behind it.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Odd. It seems to have no relevance to the issue. It would be interesting if someone knows the thinking behind it.
I repeat my view that it may well be useful for statistical analysis rather than the individual incident.