[Kit] Tips for keeping a Scorecard

Huck2Spit

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
This seems very basic and probably upto everyone's preference. I find at the end of a match what I've recorded is too illegible, worn or hastily noted to be a good reference in writing my report. Haven't lost track of any points, yet, but not sure what details to note or short hand could be best.
The downloadable score sheets I've found on-line, seem great, but turn out to be impractical when scaled down to pocket sized.
The match I did last weekend started out sunny but soon after Kickoff it poured for the duration. I was drenched to the bones and my score sheet just fell apart, my second third and fourth did too. I was making notes that were washed away. After the match when the captains asked for the official score-- I had to get back to them. Went to the car and pieced it together for the clues like an archaeologist.

Anthony

Referee/Referee Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I use the scoresheet that I got from the Southern Californian refs website, it is exactly sized to fit into the standard sized red/yellow card folder, provides all the relevant information and putting it inside the folder then provides a degree of protection from the rain. Having said that both Southern Cal and Sydney are not renowned for being overly wet so may not work as well in wetter locations

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't like any scorecard I have seen -- they always seem too fiddly, and the way score cards are generally designed you don't get to see the sequence of the scores, which I think is important.

I use a tiny notebook - scorecard sized - with blank pages. It being a notebook it's also pretty weather proof, the pages keep dry.

I draw a line down the middle, and write the scores either side, with each score just below the level of the previous one so that I can see the sequence.

What I write is
5-
5+2
as appropriate.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I use a varient of the ones posted on here. With a running total down the middle. I put the time of the event and the running totals On the back I record Cards and colour and subs / replacements.

Seems ok

Happy to email a copy if anyone wants.

I'd love an electronic one for my phone but I can't find one that does it right.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Those we're given have separate columns for tries, penalties, conversions and DGs, so you can mark the order of the scores pretty well. The only problem is, in a high scoring game, working it out in your head.
I was thinking that some sort of little electronic device could be handy, a bit like a small version of an electronic darts scoreboard, with buttons for different scores for each team.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Those we're given have separate columns for tries, penalties, conversions and DGs, so you can mark the order of the scores pretty well. The only problem is, in a high scoring game, working it out in your head.
I was thinking that some sort of little electronic device could be handy, a bit like a small version of an electronic darts scoreboard, with buttons for different scores for each team.

Exactly a phone app would be idea. All the ones on google and the Apple store seem more aimed at the clubs rather than our needs. Unless anyone knows different of course.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
do people really carry their phone on to the pitch ?

i think that if a ref got his phone out on the pitch, it would trigger rather a lot of banter!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

i dunno, I think there would be a risk of pressing a button twice, or pressing the wrong button.

I'd rather get my pencil out and write it down.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
i just presumed that refs keep a tally of T/C/PK/DG and a running total even if that is "only" a five line gated tally ?

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
i just presumed that refs keep a tally of T/C/PK/DG and a running total even if that is "only" a five line gated tally ?

didds

I don't think that five-line gates would cut it
-- from time to time someone on the sideline will have a different total, and it's very helpful to be able to go through the scores and isolate where he went wrong : 'nope, look - the fourth try conversion missed' or whatever.

And IMO DON'T dont keep a running total - any mistake made will put you wrong for the whole of the rest of the game
better to list the individual scores, and add them up when needed. that way even if you make a mistake once, the next time you add them up you'll be correct again.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
i dunno, I think there would be a risk of pressing a button twice, or pressing the wrong button.

I'd rather get my pencil out and write it down.

Yeah, obviously it would need safeguards against such things.

I like Pegleg's phone app idea. I don't take my phone onto the pitch, but I have no need to. If I had a little app that could keep track of the score, time, cards (hey, could you get the phone to light up red or yellow?!), I probably would. And pray I didn't run out of battery.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
-- from time to time someone on the sideline will have a different total, and it's very helpful to be able to go through the scores and isolate where he went wrong : 'nope, look - the fourth try conversion missed' or whatever.

And IMO DON'T dont keep a running total - any mistake made will put you wrong for the whole of the rest of the game
better to list the individual scores, and add them up when needed. that way even if you make a mistake once, the next time you add them up you'll be correct again.

Fair enough CR - good points

didds

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
-- from time to time someone on the sideline will have a different total, and it's very helpful to be able to go through the scores and isolate where he went wrong

Where HE went wrong....

Huck2Spit

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Thanks, interesting to hear what others do. Tried that SoCal card didn't work for me. I do something like crossref with a few more data points. Two columns of:
5@7th +2
3@ 11th PK (offence)
YC @20th #6 & (offence)
5@29th +0 etc....

I'll try to add in a description of how score came about as well:
5@7th+2 long 60M run by winger
5@29th+0 lineout--maul into goal
Maybe I just need to get a note pad to have the spaceI/ pages I need.
I was so wet last Sat thought I'll carry a sandwich baggie in future since my ref "wallet" didn't keep dry in just my pocket.

Phone app? Weather permitting! maybe, it is 2016 some refs wear all sorts of mic/ camera gear. but think chances of it failing are far greater than pen& paper.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sounds like you're very enthusiastic about scoring!

All I'll put down is the order of the scores. The only time I write any words are if there's a card, and that's never more than three words.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I use a note book rather than a card works for me
Scores on one side running totals and any cards on the other or other pages if I need to jot down more information .
My biggest problem is keeping my hands warm enough to hold the pencil and seeing what I've wrote as I need specs for reading!

Huck2Spit

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Why-Phil E, why not. Helps me later when drafting a thorough narrative report. In my area it's encouraged to be descriptive in post match reports. My memory doesn't keep those details as accurately as I'd like.
I also think teams will read up on opponent's ref reports to scout up coming matches. So&so's #10 scored 4 tries last game, good to know. Why my society encourages this, IDK.