Tipuric Try

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I think we are in Rees-Zammit territory here. Its down to subjective interpretations of control for which several pages of forensic analysis wont come up with a definitive answer

It all comes down to whether one believes a continued contact with the ball counts as continued possession, even when the hands are not part of that continued contact.

For me - knock on, control has been lost . But Im not the ref and Im not here to convince everybody else - as its subjective.

shebeen

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I watched this one in the bar after my game. Watching the replays I was the only one who thought the try would be given, all the players considered it clearly a knock on

Was it a knock on?
Are we talking about the knock off the Red9 foot, the knock from the spilled catch from Red10 or the loss of the ball when over the line from Red6?!

if the on-field decision was no try then no way that would have been awarded on review. Close margins and camera angles can sometimes make or break a call.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Without better angles…

At the breakdown - I don’t see his hands on the ball when it is knocked back by *someone* on the ground. Assuming a Welsh boot, they push it back and it bounces off his boot, not his hand so did he ever have “possession* as such to knock on?

Then with the kick-catch, I can’t tell who hits the ball but it looks like NZ on this clip, so a rip by NZ that sends the ball back that Wales capitalize on.

All around, nothing C&O so let it stand.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Certainly subjective, but IMHO I felt he maintained possession of the ball between his hands and his torso... not the most elegant, but I felt he had sufficient control of the ball... he may not have maintained control had he needed to travel another 2 metres, but it was good enough to get to the try line and ground it.