Toulon's Romain Taofifenua cited for kicking Stuart Olding

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Anyone seen a video of this incident?

Toulon second row Romain Taofifenua has been cited for kicking Ulster centre Stuart Olding during Saturday's European Champions Cup match.

LINK

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
...and I would be agreeing with him

... if that is worthy of a RC, then rugby is becoming a game for soft-cocks!

You're absolutely right, Ian. After all, being kicked in the back of the head and then raked in the face never hurt anybody.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
You're absolutely right, Ian. After all, being kicked in the back of the head and then raked in the face never hurt anybody.

I didn't say it was OK or not a PK, its just not a RC IMO. It was careless more than anything.

I would like to see RC reserved for what it was originally intended for; to punish the truly nasty & intentional acts of Foul and Dangerous Play in the game (e.g. eye-gouges, scrotum-twisting, stud-raking/stamping to the head)

For me, this was accidental contact when the player was going for the ball. It does not meet the criteria for RC, it diminishes the value of the RC and the game along with it.

If that was a RC, then so should this have been

For the record: I believe the Jones/Leonard incident was accidental

Last edited:

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I didn't say it was OK or not a PK, its just not a RC IMO. It was careless more than anything.

If I saw it as accidental, it would be a different colour card; but I suspect that the citing officer has seen it as, at best, reckless.

I would like to see RC reserved for what it was originally intended for; to punish the truly nasty & intentional acts of Foul and Dangerous Play in the game (e.g. eye-gouges, scrotum-twisting, stud-raking/stamping to the head)

Stamping those out isn't going to happen if you wait until it's nailed-on before RC'ing. The miscreant will always claim it was an accident...

For me, this was accidental contact when the player was going for the ball. It does not meet the criteria for RC, it diminishes the value of the RC and the game along with it.

I suspect the citing officer believes it was deliberate, or at least reckless.

If that was a RC, then so should this have been

For the record: I believe the Jones/Leonard incident was accidental

I don't accept the incidents as equivalent. The Jones/Leonard incident involved one player trying to kick a loose ball, and another trying to drop on it at the same time. It was accidental. The Taofifenua/Olding case involves a player already on the ground and the player on his feet waving his studs around in close proximity to the other player's head. It was reckless - at best.

Chris_j

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Careless kick to the head = :rc: imho

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
At the risk of being called out on my flaccidity: Ian you are defending the indefensible. A kick to the head of a prone player is about as bad as it gets. Carelessness cannot, must not, be an excuse.

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
I'm with Ian here...

And if you really want to RC Red player for this, you may as well RC White 7 for making contact with his team-mate's head twice (once before the Red player does and once after)...

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'm with Ian here...

And if you really want to RC Red player for this, you may as well RC White 7 for making contact with his team-mate's head twice (once before the Red player does and once after)...

Firstly, I'm not seeing two contacts by W7; I am only seeing Taofifenua's face rake knocking Olding's head back against W7's ankle. I think the first contact you're seeing is actually Taofifenua - he kicked the head twice, on the back of the head going out and raking the face on his return.

Secondly; there's a world of difference between putting your foot down near to, but clear of, a team-mate's head so as to keep your balance while being straightened up in the ruck by your opposite number, and (at best) recklessly striking that head, even if it was purportedly in an attempt to pull the ball back through it to your own side of the ruck.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I can't believe that he got 3 weeks for this!

I'm totally with Ian on this. Taofifenua legally gets his hands on the ball and Olding is holding on. When T. gets stood up he can't see and simply reaches for the ball. I don't rate that as a 'kick'. He's rucking for the ball, contact definitely accidental. At worst, reckless.

We (referees) let the tackled player set the ball and never penalize them for not rolling away. Then this happens and the mob calls for blood.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
reckless kick to the head, 3 weeks seems a little light?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
reckless kick to the head, 3 weeks seems a little light?

I agree, they seem to have totally confused themselves.

Either it was accidental = no sanction at all
Or it was deliberate = very heavy sanction. What can be worse than a kick to the head?

I don't see how they possilby came up with a light sanction. Unless it was a foolish compromise between the two alternatives.
What sort of precedent does this create?

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
maybe they thought accidental, but reckless hence the lower end ban, no injury etc? Hey who knows, I'm sure there'll be a report out soon.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I can't believe that he got 3 weeks for this!

I'm totally with Ian on this. Taofifenua legally gets his hands on the ball and Olding is holding on.

Two playes have their hands on the ball legally; Taofifenua and White #7. Olding is holding on, but that isn't why Taofifenua stands up, bringing White #7 up with him.

When T. gets stood up he can't see and simply reaches for the ball. I don't rate that as a 'kick'. He's rucking for the ball, contact definitely accidental. At worst, reckless.

He stands himself up, unbalancing White #7 in the process. He might not be able to see (although I don't necessarily agree he can't) but he knows where the ball is in relation to Olding's head and still waves his foot around in that general area (at best). I'd put it as at best reckless.

Let's see how the JO saw it; it'll be here when published.

We (referees) let the tackled player set the ball and never penalize them for not rolling away. Then this happens and the mob calls for blood.

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
...I'd put it as at best reckless.

Let's see how the JO saw it; it'll be here when published.

The press release is here. Seen as reckless, low end, 4 weeks, reduction of 1 week for turning up to the hearing in a collar and tie.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Browner - read the "definitions" from Law 16 Ruck.

Nowhere does it mention a "pushing contest". It does mention rucking as players "using their feet to try to win or keep possession".

Your imagination has led you astray. Now read 16.3(f). Pay close attention to the word "intentionally".

Now read 16.4(d) and apply that to Olding's actions. Taofifenua is not the villain he's made out to be.

RobLev got it right, T. "waves his foot around". And for that he gets 3 weeks?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
"waves his foot around". And for that he gets 3 weeks?
Why not? Do you really want players waving their feet around when they can't see quite where other players' heads are?