[Law] Tripping?

bellnier

Post Likes
Had a brain cramp on Saturday. Defender grabs ball carrier with both hands, stopping his advance, and then sweeps his leg across the ball carriers legs to bring him to ground. Ball carrier complained after that is was either illegal under 10.4(d) (I have always considered a 'trip' as being leg-on-leg only, i.e., without any grasping) or a dangerous play (these were club men, so no). I guess the issue here is that I'm unsure of the definition of a 'trip'. Please advise...

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
sounds like a judo throw?

dangerous play?

didds

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
If it looks like a judo throw i'd have an issue, that said dragging the ball carrier towards the leg and using it to bring them down would normally be OK.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
So wrestling with the BC and using a leg to bring him to ground? I can't see how it would make it necessarily dangerous. All you might get that you wouldn't get in a more normal tackle is the tackler kicking the legs of the BC.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Unless the play actually looked dangerous, I would suggest warning the player not to do it again as next time you might well decide it was dangerous play.

bellnier

Post Likes
Unless the play actually looked dangerous, I would suggest warning the player not to do it again as next time you might well decide it was dangerous play.

Yes, I agree. Not necessarily a penalty, but a flashpoint to be managed.

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Isn't this effectively the situation of a "dump tackle" with knobs on. I would have assumed this would have been deemed dangerous play.

..........I am here to learn.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
So wrestling with the BC and using a leg to bring him to ground? I can't see how it would make it necessarily dangerous. All you might get that you wouldn't get in a more normal tackle is the tackler kicking the legs of the BC.
I hope you are not implying that it would be OK to "kick" the ball carrier - legs or otherwise!

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Isn't this effectively the situation of a "dump tackle" with knobs on. I would have assumed this would have been deemed dangerous play.

..........I am here to learn.

I'm presuming the tackler in this scenario held the ball carrier as and until he was brought to ground.

Elpablo73

Referees in England
Post Likes
You seem to be describing De Ashi Barai, a judo technique, and requires you to "kick" your opponents leg(s) to get them to the ground. 10.4(c) covers this.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Quick question, if it were more of a* "Tai Otoshi" body drop, would that make it acceptable?
(*No kicking action, ball carrier held with "both tackler's arms" when brought to ground.)
I don't think it would, if it looked wrong then it probably was an infringement.

Last edited:

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
You seem to be describing De Ashi Barai, a judo technique, and requires you to "kick" your opponents leg(s) to get them to the ground. 10.4(c) covers this.

My belief is that a foot, or leg sweep in this instance, is not a kick.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Sounds like what used to be called a Cumberland throw in the old days. Ray Price was a master of it

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I hope you are not implying that it would be OK to "kick" the ball carrier - legs or otherwise!
No. Just highlighting that there's more likelihood of it happening in this type of tackles than others.

Elpablo73

Referees in England
Post Likes
ChuckieB, we could argue about the semantics of whether a foot, or leg sweep, requires a kick or not. It looks wrong to do it on a rugby field and if you were to want a law to justify a penalty 10.4 (c) would be plausible to put forward.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If he pushes the ball carrier over his leg I would usually be ok with that.
If he sweeps his leg to take out the ball carriers legs, I wouldn't.

Of course, you cant give a definitive answer without seeing it, but the above is my rule of thumb.