[Law] Try annulled for foul play

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
For me the first foul play was blue charging him ..

But anyway , for JP it was the collar pull

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Surely this warrants a PK?
Offside Position / Not coming from back foot.
Playing a player not in the ruck.
View attachment 3876View attachment 3875

These two pictures were after DC had pushed LW over when he stood up in the ruck. LW then cleared DC out, and I think a judgement call on whether that was a PK or not. Happy with JPs call on this He actually called it a clear back and the first bit of foul play that he saw was DK grabbing LW collar. He says he saw DC as the more significant.

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I was at the game and had ref link
I could hear AR interventions.. I didn't hear any "stop the game " calls

Of course that doesn't mean it didn't happen but I am not sure itndid

clear as day on the tv feed. You can still catch up with the game on ch5 catch up

Last edited:

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
The AR seemed somewhat flustered to me when speaking to JP...

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
"I've got a bit of handbags!"

I think the whole thing was started by an offside/off-the-ball hit by Blue 15, I didn't think there was anything really in the push by green, so for me this was the first offence I would have sanctioned - would I be the only person restarting with a defensive PK green?

Ok your time line (not that i'm convinced you are right on even that!)

Blue 15 offside.

Green commits the FIRST ACT of FOUL play.

Blue retaliated.

Clearly there was something in the push Why else the reaction?

So, I, for one, disagree with you on your time line and your decision.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
clear as day on the tv feed. You can still catch up with the game on ch5 catch up

The AR is telling the two idiots on the floor to "STOP". He is not telling the referee to stop the game. That is bourne out by JP's comments to the two idiots and their captains.

Listening to JP I was quite impressed by how he dealt with the two idiots. Well done JP!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The AR is telling the two idiots on the floor to "STOP". He is not telling the referee to stop the game. That is bourne out by JP's comments to the two idiots and their captains.

Listening to JP I was quite impressed by how he dealt with the two idiots. Well done JP!

ah That makes sense .

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

He is clearly on the comms and it is clearly "stop the game" in the first instance.

So if it wasn't noise from elsewhere, then it was him calling more than just "stop"

But hey ho, I don't always seek to stand behind what I hear.

I'm a "Yanny" sort of guy!

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I didn’t here it on the first clip, but on the Channel 5 highlights it is ‘stop the game’, not sure at what point that decision gets made, but it was

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I can see why it was possible to decide Brits should also get a red (looks like an attempted punch immediately following the butt) but on the whole I didn’t feel it fell into the traditional retaliation bracket. On the basis of the video it looked like Brits was on the backfoot right from the start and van der Merwe was very much the aggressor throughout. Short of allowing himself to be punched out I’m not sure what else Brits could do. I was surprised that the commentators thought they were equally culpable. I’m personally thinking red for van der Merwe and yellow for Brits would have been more representative of the incident but a punch even if thrown whilst flat on your back fending off an assault is still a punch.