Try line scenario

JJ10695

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Had a scenario on saturday where there was a ruck just in front of the try line, the ball was in the possession of the defending team.

The 9 then took the ball back onto the try line, attepted to lift the ball. An opposition player then reached over the back of the ruck and grounded the ball as the 9 lift it to kick the ball away.

This player was not a part of the ruck. He reached over the top of the ruck to ground the ball.

What would be the correct decision here?

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Probably one of those I’d have to see to be certain, but key for me is the ball position - once the ball is on or past the goal line the ruck is over. As long as the opposition player was onside and the grounding was good then I’d award the try.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
presumably onside BEFORE the ball is on or over the try line. as there is no offside once that occurs.

Last edited:

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
There are clips on YouTube of this scenario happening - if the ball is on the line, the ruck is over.

As long as the grounder was in an onside position prior to attempting the ground, it's a try.

Nilo

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
As the others have stated, if the player was onside before the ruck ended, the try should be awarded.

Law 15 - Ruck
18 - The ruck ends and play continues when the ball leaves the ruck or when the ball in the ruck is on or over the goal line.

Law 8 - Scoring
2. A try is scored when an attacking player:
  • Is first to ground the ball in the opponents’ in-goal.
  • Is first to ground the ball when a scrum, ruck or maul reaches the goal line.