TV Whistle Explanations - how helpful ??

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VqUez7N-MH8

Watch this from 40:32 on the game clock.

Once Poirots offence is committed, the TV whistle visual explanation ( the viewer help concept i support) is shown "taking the man out"

Presumably someone is typing these explanations & posting them on screen. So, who is doing this???? Should it be done from a point of law reference , or is the 'translation' of what the referee is supposedly saying sufficient for the purpose?

IMO it would certainly aid 'everyone' if in this this clip the explanation had said ..."Playing an opponent without the ball"** , but this would require quick and accurate law referencing, so is that achievable via discussion with the TMO ???

** [But would ... "playing an opponent without the ball Law 10.4 (f)" .... Be a holy grail ? ...Or unwanted visual evidence of the number of laws in this code ]

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
At work I have stipulated that the explanations on the screen should match the law book wording wherever possible.
These are stored in a computer and I just tap the one I want on a touch screen and it pops up on the big screen.
So no typing required, and the explanations are pre-scripted. They are also preceded by "Penalty", "Free Kick", etc.

However its not always easy to fit it to what the referee says he is giving it for.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
At work I have stipulated that the explanations on the screen should match the law book wording wherever possible.
These are stored in a computer and I just tap the one I want on a touch screen and it pops up on the big screen.
So no typing required, and the explanations are pre-scripted. They are also preceded by "Penalty", "Free Kick", etc.

However its not always easy to fit it to what the referee says he is giving it for.

I bet you wish you had a "You're joking aren't you ref?!" button! :pepper:

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I bet you wish you had a "You're joking aren't you ref?!" button! :pepper:

It has been suggested on our supporters forum that we put up what the ref "should have given", rather than "what he actually gave" :chin:

Last game was against Northampton in the LV cup with Nigel Owen, and I have to say his secondary signals were spot on.
Many of my explanations were up on the screen before he spoke over the ref mike because his signals were so clear and obvious.

There was just one time where a player was pulled back off the ball. He signalled "obstruction", but then vocalised "playing the man without the ball"?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
There was just one time where a player was pulled back off the ball. He signalled "obstruction", but then vocalised "playing the man without the ball"?

is there a signal for playing the man without the ball ? :chin:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

No official one, but I have seen referees use something similar to these to indicate an early tackle or holding a player back (jersey pulling)

Signal10.jpg
Signal20.jpg

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

30_thumb.png
this is for lineout pushing, but it seems most appropriate to me , whenever there isn't a lineout it would easily be understood to me a push in open play.