[Line out] Two Elevators on the same Line Out team

fenrizio

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Hi Everybody

I would like to know if somebody knows the number of the law says that i must have only one "elevator" on my line out and whats the sanction if i do two "elevators"?

Thanks a lot!:biggrin:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Presuming you mean you are the throwing side I don;t think there is a law saying you can't have two jumpers/lifted catchers etc

what you can't do is dummy - so you can;t put a jumper up at the front, then "afterwards" jump at the middle with a view to using the front jumper to act as a decoy to the defending team to concentrate a jump there.

However if you have both jumpers leave the floor at the same time I really don't see what the issue is. tactically its not much use though as you've tied up three players for the post catch action. Even OTT it means those three will be slow in support for the backline action.

As a defender again I don;t see a problem..,. though it leaves you exposed to a catch and drive as three defenders are out of the game whilst the pod completes a safe return to the floor

Others may differ, and I'd be interested like you :)

didds

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If you mean the player who is lifted up, there is no such law. You can have two players lifted if you want.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
You can lift as many as you want.

BUT....

Not before the ball is thrown - then it is a dummy jump.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Hi Everybody

I would like to know if somebody knows the number of the law says that i must have only one "elevator" on my line out and whats the sanction if i do two "elevators"?

Thanks a lot!:biggrin:

No, if you mean can you lift more than 2 levels high. or if possible 3 layers up. That is a great question, but only I think it great. Just like a cheerleading pyramid. Remember to have a spotter, allthough a spotter is not law.

The sanction would be a stunned referee digging in his lawbook at halftime, and your winning lineouts on the day

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I thouhgt of that scenario too NKW, but didn;t go with it as It seems overly coimplicated and needing a phenomonal amount of practise :)

didds

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
I thouhgt of that scenario too NKW, but didn;t go with it as It seems overly coimplicated and needing a phenomonal amount of practise :)

didds

Cheerleaders do it. Just need a lightweight for the top. The game is designed for all sizes

fenrizio

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I have played with a team on this weekend and this team is creating two elevators at the same time. I think it was so stranger and i was trying to find some law about this.
But i understand. I can have two or three elevators that i want,but the player can jump and raised after the ball was throwed.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
non ref question here... :)

when they did this, what did they do with the ball when successfully caught? eg catch and drive, off the top, drop to a runner etc ?

didds

Last edited:

fenrizio

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
didds,

I'm ref =)
My question aggregate to my knowledge about laws!

Thanks!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
yes, and I am a coach :) So I am intrigued as to their tactical approach, given that they will have 6 players (out of a typical max of 7) involved in pods. So - what did they do with the ball once they'd caught it with these six players effectively tied up at that juncture?

didds

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
yes, and I am a coach :) So I am intrigued as to their tactical approach, given that they will have 6 players (out of a typical max of 7) involved in pods. So - what did they do with the ball once they'd caught it with these six players effectively tied up at that juncture?

didds

My first thought is an archaic protection for a overthrow as in prelifting days or early days of lifting with 2 pods.

Could there be a pod to pod throw, from one lifted player to another. Or throws at discretion of hooker w/o any signal

Last edited:

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
I would assume that one pod know it is not coming to them, so don't jump fully. This makes the defence throw up 2 jumpers properly. Therefore your jumpers get back into play before the oppos, so you have a better chance to start the maul.....

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I wound;t expect a defending side to throw two pods up, because it real;ly liits the defensive capabilities if the throwers do catch. Typically defenders use

- no jumper : defend on the ground and concede the possession
- one jumper: either at the front forcing the oppo to throw at least to the middle and maybe get a tuernover ball through a poor or wonky throw, or jump in the middle "forcing" a front ball win (ie concede the throw) to limit the oppo attacking options... eg most club sides probably won;t /can;t attack wide from a front catch, so you limit the attack to a forwards drive (which is defended on the ground), or to close action with a tail gunner available to tackle/jackje etc. Or with the middle jumper the other "easy" option for the throwers is to go long to the back, with a hope of a weak/poor/stray throw and tunover bal etc.

didds

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
No, if you mean can you lift more than 2 levels high. or if possible 3 layers up. That is a great question, but only I think it great. Just like a cheerleading pyramid. Remember to have a spotter, allthough a spotter is not law.

The sanction would be a stunned referee digging in his lawbook at halftime, and your winning lineouts on the day

I suspect laws of physics would defeat this possibility :)

Given that feet can't leave the ground before the ball leaves the hand, the 2 would have to throw it high enough for it not to come down before sufficient players were all lined up in the air. What fun.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes

Given that feet can't leave the ground before the ball leaves the hand, the 2 would have to throw it high enough for it not to come down before sufficient players were all lined up in the air. What fun.

good point

There are probably some circus acrobats that could accomplish it. Problem is they aren't very reliable, as they change rugby clubs frequently. They also have a fondness for leggings

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

If the pod lifts as normal, and the receiver takes a run up starting as the ball is thrown, leaping up to the hands of the jumper, perhaps with an assist from another player in the lineout?

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
If the pod lifts as normal, and the receiver takes a run up starting as the ball is thrown, leaping up to the hands of the jumper, perhaps with an assist from another player in the lineout?

I look forward to the USA doing this at the next RWC :)

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
what you can't do is dummy - so you can;t put a jumper up at the front, then "afterwards" jump at the middle with a view to using the front jumper to act as a decoy to the defending team to concentrate a jump there.

Well, you can have a dummy jumper so long as the dummy doesn't jump until the ball leaves the hands of the thrower. The front jumper goes up (and the opposition are sucked into competing with him) but he lets the ball pass to the actual jumper at the back. The timing is tricky, but it can be very effective if you get it right