U11 and quick penalties

Wolrabs

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
Hi,

Quick poser.......U11's and blue are penalised for going over the top at a ruck.

The ruck is 5m from the blue try line.

Offender is looking at ref and red take a quick tap penalty at the mark.

Blue haven't retreated to their line and are penalised for tackling whilst offside.

Another penalty is taken after blue are on their line, red subsequently score.

Is there any problem with this? Is there something I should have done differently?

Cheers

W

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
from the description I am not sure what uyou think may have been wrong.

Unless you are looking for a sort of yellow card solution (which doesn't exist in england U11/continuum regs).

There might have a PT call if it was a constant occurrence.

??

Bit of game management post try possibly needed - a small chat with blues to point out they need to retreat 7m (or whatever it is!) or leave the attackers alone.

didds

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Is there any problem with this? Is there something I should have done differently?

No, that's completely in line with the Continuum requirement that, unlike the junior or adult game, "they really can't take a second quick penalty".

(In the adult game we are often told not to allow a second quickly taken penalty to "prevent flash points". Personally, I feel that all too often that just means the offending team has gotten away with their cheating so I generally allow a second quickly taken kick.)

As didds wrote, you could have considered a Penalty Try at the offence - but the side scored anyway which is always a preferred result.

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes
(c) When an infringement occurs, a penalty or penalty kick will be awarded in accordance with the iRB Laws of the Game. The referee will make a mark for the kick. The opposition will retire quickly to 7 metres from the mark. If the kick is taken so quickly that opponents have no opportunity to retire, they will not be penalised for this. However, they must continue to retire without interfering with the game until they are either 7 metres from the mark or a team mate who was standing 7 metres from the mark has run in front of them. The opposing team must not do anything to delay the penalty kick or obstruct
the kicker. Any infringement by the opposing team results in a second penalty 7 metres in front of the mark for the first kick. On the second occasion the kick will not be taken until all opponents have retired 7 metres. No penalty kick can be taken within 5 metres of the goal line.

Looks like you pretty much followed the laws

djones

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
No, that's completely in line with the Continuum requirement that, unlike the junior or adult game, "they really can't take a second quick penalty".

(In the adult game we are often told not to allow a second quickly taken penalty to "prevent flash points". Personally, I feel that all too often that just means the offending team has gotten away with their cheating so I generally allow a second quickly taken kick.)

As didds wrote, you could have considered a Penalty Try at the offence - but the side scored anyway which is always a preferred result.

law 21.7.(d) states the second penalty cannot be taken quickly

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes

No, it says the kick cannot be taken before the referee has made the mark.

How quickly you choose to make the mark is up to you and your management decision.

For U11 and U12, you do not have the discretion to choose when you will make the mark. You must wait until all the opposing players have retreated 7m or to the goal line if closer.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Really!

Where?

21.7(d) Interference. The opposing team must not do anything to delay the penalty kick or obstruct
the kicker. They must not intentionally take, throw or kick the ball out of reach of the kicker
or the kicker’s team mates.
Sanction: Any infringement by the opposing team results in a second penalty kick, 10
metres in front of the mark for the first kick. This mark must not be within 5 metres of the
goal line. Any player may take the kick. The kicker may change the type of kick and may
choose to kick at goal. If the referee awards a second penalty kick, the second penalty kick
is not taken before the referee has made the mark indicating the place of the penalty.