U14 schools cup semi this afternoon

jeff

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I Reffed a game yesterdau u18's when at half time the clouds turned really dark and i spoke to both coach's and said we would see how the light is in a few minutes and if we had thunder not a problem if it got lighter but once we had lightining then i would be calling the game of for safety reasons, both coach's agreed 3 mins into the 2nd half a massive downpour and thunder followed by lightining so called off the game and no problems from both the teams finished at 5 each. going back to the changeing rooms on the schools field was really surprised to see that a u9/10 football match still going ahead with all players totally soaked to the skin. parent on the sideline said to me is it right for the game to be still playing i said no as it a safety issue, The parent then asked me would i have a word with the referee, as it ws half time and the kids were in a huddle soaked to the skin i mentioned to the referee that should you be thinking of calling the game off due to the thunder and lightining and he said should i. i said yes. so he did.
What do you all think about this team playing in lightening for at least 5 minutes ?.

Casey Bee

Referees in England
Post Likes
I Reffed a game yesterdau u18's when at half time the clouds turned really dark and i spoke to both coach's and said we would see how the light is in a few minutes and if we had thunder not a problem if it got lighter but once we had lightining then i would be calling the game of for safety reasons, both coach's agreed 3 mins into the 2nd half a massive downpour and thunder followed by lightining so called off the game and no problems from both the teams finished at 5 each. going back to the changeing rooms on the schools field was really surprised to see that a u9/10 football match still going ahead with all players totally soaked to the skin. parent on the sideline said to me is it right for the game to be still playing i said no as it a safety issue, The parent then asked me would i have a word with the referee, as it ws half time and the kids were in a huddle soaked to the skin i mentioned to the referee that should you be thinking of calling the game off due to the thunder and lightining and he said should i. i said yes. so he did.
What do you all think about this team playing in lightening for at least 5 minutes ?.

Don't allow this to get out in public that rugby players quit before footballers.:biggrin:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

I think it's very dangerous.

flat open area (as pitches usually are), if lightening strikes it's going to be heading for anything above ground level. i.e. people, trees (that people shelter under), etc, etc.

If you can't get inside quickly, as the lightening approaches, lie flat on the floor and wait for it to pass. Better to be inside though.

peperami

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
As I have said before, we are not allowed to have a stretcher at my club. We are the rugby section of a multi-sports club and Health & Safety has banned stretchers.

Stretchers in my expierence lead to people trying to move people to quickly or who shouldnt be moved at all.

Had a game earlier this season with two dislocated knee caps on both occasion the cry went up for the stretcher. The second individual required the attendance of the air ambulance with a doctor before we could actually move him.

Clubs should be made to provide suitable first aid that knows its limitations and when to call the proffessionals in to safeguard players.

Ben