[U20 RWC] IRE v SA - Ball Caught and Carried into Touch

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Green is running towards the touchline when he catches the ball from a kick from white, and in the process crosses the line into touch. Decision was line-out to Green. Does it depend on whether the ball had crossed the plane of touch when caught, or how does it work?

Last edited:

RemainingInTheGame

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1

18.1. The ball is in touch or touch-in-goal when:

18.1.a) The ball or ball-carrier touches the touchline, touch-in-goal line or anything beyond.
18.1.b) A player, who is already touching the touchline, touch-in-goal line or anything beyond, catches or holds the ball.

18.1.b.i) If the ball has reached the plane of touch when it is caught, the catcher is not deemed to have taken the ball into touch.
18.1.b.ii) If the ball has not reached the plane of touch when it is caught or picked up, the catcher is deemed to have taken the ball into touch, regardless of whether the ball was in motion or stationary.

Haven't watched the clip, but yes, according to Law 18.1.

(Note if caught from a kick, then a thinking player will call for a mark)

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The ball had crossed (reached) touch when he caught it. Correct call.

Why would "a thinking player will call for a mark" apply?

RemainingInTheGame

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Why would "a thinking player will call for a mark" apply?
Sorry, I was a bit flippant there: In case they are not sure if it’s out, then if get wrong and catch it inside and take it out, where free kick would be better. (I probably should have watched clip, maybe does’t make sense in the example shown).

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Sorry, I was a bit flippant there: In case they are not sure if it’s out, then if get wrong and catch it inside and take it out, where free kick would be better. (I probably should have watched clip, maybe does’t make sense in the example shown).
That introduces an elemet of doubt into the equation. As a player don't give the ref / AR / TJ and reason to doubt. More to the point anybody wondering why he caught it? the ball is clearly going out on the full. Again: Why bring an elelment of doubt into it?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
cant disagree at all with that Marc! It makes one wonder if maybe he thought he was just in field and wanted to catch it - but given straight out wold automatically give his side 50 metres of territory - there was no clock pressure @ 54 minutes etc. - then why ?
all a bit bizarre i agree. the folly of youth? :)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Green is running towards the touchline when he catches the ball from a kick from white, and in the process crosses the line into touch. Decision was line-out to Green. Does it depend on whether the ball had crossed the plane of touch when caught, or how does it work?

Ball had crossed the line of touch before it was caught by green.
Therefore the kicker put the ball into touch.

Pinky2

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I wonder if the winger caught it as he might have thought if the ball bounced and hit the line it might well have been a 50 22? It would definitely carried past the 22 if it had not been caught, but was already over the touch line.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I wonder if the winger caught it as he might have thought if the ball bounced and hit the line it might well have been a 50 22? It would definitely carried past the 22 if it had not been caught, but was already over the touch line.
If it was in field he'd have taken it in by catching it first. The outcome would have been the same as a 50:22. So why not play the odds that were clearly in the defenders favour?

Last edited: