UEAFA overturn referees decision - order "replay"

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Apparently in a Women's U19 match the referee made a mistake in law, so England get to retake a last minute penalty.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32231318

They have also sent the referee in question home.

It seems the thin end of a wedge to me - I would not want to see it in Rugby.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Why doesn't she get any help from the ARs or linesmen or whatever they are called in football? Aren't refs miked up?
the ball was dead and this wasn't an split second decision, surely there was plenty of opportunity for some one to come in distreetly on the comms and say 'wait up! It's not a FK -- it's a retake'

eb559

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I think this lies in a bit of a strange technicality. A football match cannot end after a penalty is awarded but before it is validly taken, unlike any other set piece. Because the penalty, by the ref's own admission, has not been validly taken, the referee has no discretion to bring the game to an end, which they possess after the clock reached 90 mins. The rule exists do deal with precisely this level of incompetent refereeing, and is tantamount to if the referee had blown for full time before 90 mins, its just not an option available to him/her. So I don't really see any other way UEFA could have dealt with it.

Really worrying how the officials managed to get it that wrong in the first place.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
she didn't end the game.

the problem was that the PK was taken, and she disallowed it because of encroachment (so far so good) - but the Laws say that when this happens the PK is retaken (who knew?) but she awarded a FK to Norway (oops).

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Apparently in a Women's U19 match the referee made a mistake in law, so England get to retake a last minute penalty.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32231318

They have also sent the referee in question home.

It seems the thin end of a wedge to me - I would not want to see it in Rugby.

Exactly, awful.

I'm mildly surprised that the Uefa bigwigs have listened to the 'might' of the English FA on this. Notwithstanding this the low influence Norwegian FA get my sympathy for not protesting the idea that the England get another tilt , but then knowing the integrity of Footy I suspect the decision maker will diligently check that the 3 mins of injury time will happen correctly........., via his brand new £16k Parmigiani watch !

Surely something can be done to replay the 'hand of God game' now ???!!! :deadhorse:

eb559

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
she didn't end the game.

the problem was that the PK was taken, and she disallowed it because of encroachment (so far so good) - but the Laws say that when this happens the PK is retaken (who knew?) but she awarded a FK to Norway (oops).

I know that. What I was saying was that at the moment the referee blew for full time, there had been a penalty awarded which had not been validly taken (albeit that play had gone on in between), which the laws of football simply do not allow to happen. The game cannot end in those circumstances, and I think this is why the game is being resumed, as opposed to situation in other cases where the referee makes an error of law. Its not comparable to say if the referee made a mistake of law by, for instance, awarding a free kick for a foul throw, instead of reversing it, because this was a penalty, which is the only set piece to trigger the law preventing the game ending whilst the penalty is still to be taken.

Like I said earlier, its equivalent to the referee blowing for full time before 90 minutes, I don't think many would argue that the game should be played out to its proper conclusion in that situation.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In rugby union when a referee in an international blows for full time in controversial circumstances, the authorities don't humiliate him by ordering a replay. Instead they humiliate him by publishing a Law *clarification* implying that he had made a mistake when, in fact, he had applied the Laws exactly as written. ..

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I know that. What I was saying was that at the moment the referee blew for full time, there had been a penalty awarded which had not been validly taken (albeit that play had gone on in between), which the laws of football simply do not allow to happen. The game cannot end in those circumstances, and I think this is why the game is being resumed, as opposed to situation in other cases where the referee makes an error of law. Its not comparable to say if the referee made a mistake of law by, for instance, awarding a free kick for a foul throw, instead of reversing it, because this was a penalty, which is the only set piece to trigger the law preventing the game ending whilst the penalty is still to be taken.

Like I said earlier, its equivalent to the referee blowing for full time before 90 minutes, I don't think many would argue that the game should be played out to its proper conclusion in that situation.

Would it be different if this SNAFU happened say in the 5th minute?

eb559

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

As a matter of principle I'd have to say yes. The fact that it didn't and that nothing of note happened in the remaining time in the game has made it easier for UEFA to stick to the principle, and I don't think for a minute that UEFA is doing this for principled reasons (rather they probably want to avoid angering the FA who have been very big on promoting the women's game, and its a lot easier to throw the ref under the bus given the circumstances of the decision), merely that the laws give them an at least semi-viable justification and a reason to distinguish the decision from errors of law in the future because of the peculiar laws applying to a penalty.

I don't know how a rugby governing body would deal with a similar decision, though I'm tempted to believe they would make whatever decision was easiest politically on the facts

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Why doesn't she get any help from the ARs or linesmen or whatever they are called in football? Aren't refs miked up?
the ball was dead and this wasn't an split second decision, surely there was plenty of opportunity for some one to come in distreetly on the comms and say 'wait up! It's not a FK -- it's a retake'

This was my thought. One of the things we bang on about within our group is the importance of people feeling empowered to challenge each other to ensure we get the right outcome (even if the ref looks a bit daft getting there). It's surprisingly difficult to do, especially if the guy in the middle is "senior" to you, and you're under pressure, but it's such a relief when someone bails you out of the smelly stuff.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
From today's Times:
Ten years earlier Uzbekistan and Bahrain had been ordered to replay an entire World Cup qualifying play-off when the referee disallowed an Uzbekistan penalty in the 38th minute because of encroachment and awarded their opponents a free kick.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
From today's Times:
Ten years earlier Uzbekistan and Bahrain had been ordered to replay an entire World Cup qualifying play-off when the referee disallowed an Uzbekistan penalty in the 38th minute because of encroachment and awarded their opponents a free kick.

From today's Sun
footy refs call goes tits up, her knock'ers are delighted

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
can-of-worms.jpg

chrismtl

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I feel like UEFA published this decision about 8 days late...

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Re : Re: UEAFA overturn referees decision - order "replay"

It's happened before. They did the same thing. As yet, the worms remain firmly in the can and nobody's tried to use it as a precedent for getting something else replayed.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Re: Re : Re: UEAFA overturn referees decision - order "replay"

It's happened before. They did the same thing. As yet, the worms remain firmly in the can and nobody's tried to use it as a precedent for getting something else replayed.

That was a whole match being replayed. Understandable, but playing just the last three minutes starting with the taking of a penalty? Really? This has happened before?