UK money

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I have a 10 pound note issued by Clydesdale Bank. Is that usable in England? If so, Phil, I'll get the first round :)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In theory Scottish money is acceptable throughout the the UK. In practice many shops refuse to accept it.

Keep it until you find yourself for some reason owing Phil £10

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
When my son was at Uni in Edinburgh we ended up with lots of Scottish notes (RBS, BoS and Clydesdale) in the house. I liked going into establishments in England with them just to provoke an argument about their legal tenderness - invariably I would eat the Mars Bar or whatever stood at the counter with a "whatcha gunna do about that then" face on :)

I assume the suspicion comes from their unfamiliarity and potential forgeries. Northern Ireland (BoI and Northern) issued money is good for it too. :biggrin:

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Ditto CR.

One of my locals won;t take Scottish notes. They know they are legal; tender as a general point, but take the view that being the best part of 400 miles from Scotland they see so few they'd have no way of telling/knowing whether it was an actual Scottish banknote or something someone had knocked up ona printer twenty minutes ago to look like a Scottish banknote.

There is no law that insists that "legal tender" of any description MUST be accepted - otherwise places coulnd;t be refusing standard BoE £50 notes for a 60p newspaper etc.

It on ocassion creates unpleasantness with all sorts of stupid accusations of racism being bandied about. I can of course appreciate for the holder its a PITA, but its a classic mexican standoff. The people I would feel most sorry for are tourists that have left Scotland for a couple of days in England before flying home - but its not them that mare making the claims of racism in thick Glaswegian accents.

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Shops don't want them because customer don't want them in their change, customers don't want them because shops don't like them .. etc

The law about this is surprisingly complicated, and is around what cannot be refused when you offer it to settle a debt. In short you can't compel a shop to sell you a Mars Bar

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I have a 10 pound note issued by Clydesdale Bank. Is that usable in England? If so, Phil, I'll get the first round :)

It's your round...pay with the Jock tenner.

If they refuse to take it....it's still your round :tongue:

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Pop into an English clearing bank (if you anywhere near a High Street during daylight hours) and they will certainly exchange it for you.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
about to get on the plane in Melbourne. Will be seeing the bright lights of Birmingham in about 23 hours. :eng:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
about to get on the plane in Melbourne. Will be seeing the bright lights of Birmingham in about 23 hours. :eng:

Red.
Red and Amber.
Green.
Amber.
and back to Red.

Yowl luv eet!

Last edited:

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Welcome to Birmingham; it's all to do with the intonation; "You're Welcome to it" sounds so different.

Nevertheless, welcome to the UK/Europe/:Not Europe:/Might Be a Bit:shrug:, Like/Hang on, ask me again:chin:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
They are legal but not legal tender. The difference is blurred these days. But basically legal tender MUST be accepted in settlement of debt.

Simply, shops etc CAN but don't have to accept Scottish and Irish notes if they wish. Being sure they are not forged is obviously an issue for them as they see so few.

Same with any medium of exchange. A shop / pub can accept anything they choose: Euros, US Dollars, In parts of Kent, I understand they still accept groats and livestock.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I used it at a teahouse in Stratford. No problem as it turned out.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I used it at a teahouse in Stratford. No problem as it turned out.

A place used to dealing with tourists. You're more likely to encounter problems in places no one wants to visit.

Richard smith

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
I have always had issues using Notes issued by the Scottish banks in England, hence why I change my notes to english ones before venturing south of the border