Uncontested- Flanker Obstruction or Legal??

Stoo48

Referees in America
Post Likes
Interesting issue yesterday, Colts game, uncontested from the start, all back row nicely bound and not breaking early, not changing the angle of bind to obstruct SH following the ball round. SH's working well, only challenging when the opposite number had hands on the ball. However, blue Flanker has arms like the preverbial orang-u-tang and was able to maintain a full forearm bind on the 2nd row but be far enough back that the opposition SH could not get to his opposite number without going offside....

Was he in the right? I could find no reason why not?

Stuart

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
A full bind is wrist to shoulder, not just forearm.

So are you sure he was fully bound?

But otherwise - what is wrong? A legally bound player being in a position to aid his team - sounds like good play.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
FF is right, but with one caveat:

Did he alter his binding to swing out for the obstruction, or was that how he set?

The latter would be OK, the former not so much.

Stoo48

Referees in America
Post Likes
Simon, he didn't alter his position, I warn about that in my pre match. Regarding full bind, I'm usually happy with the back row having forearms in contact, I don't mind them looking but I don't want them coming off early.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Just to push buttons ever so slightly - if he had had a full arm bind, would the issue have occurred?

Simonsky

Referees in England
Post Likes
be far enough back that the opposition SH could not get to his opposite number without going offside....

Stuart

Not sure I understand this....why would the flankers position force the oppo SH to go offside?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Not sure I understand this....why would the flankers position force the oppo SH to go offside?
Imagine that the flanker on the side of the putin sticks his shoulder on the lock's arse instead of the prop's. OK, so he's not keeping his prop in place, but he's legal assuming his arm binds around the lock's rear, like his #8. His feet are now level with the #8's feet, and the defending SH can't go behind him without overstepping the line of the ball, which is held ahead of #8's foot.