[Scrum] uncontested scrums. low 3

nekny

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
if uncontested scrums have been ordered by team A,
can team B replace its front row player by none front row player ?

Last edited:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
My understanding is that if FR players are available, they must be used - regardless of whether it's contested or uncontested.

nekny

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
My understanding is that if FR players are available, they must be used - regardless of whether it's contested or uncontested.

I agree

but is there some strong regulation in law book or its just depends on, as you said, understanding ?

note that I mean the team that was restricted by contested scrums

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Regulations state you must use FR players if available. Don't have access to my documents at the moment but someone will be able to quote.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I agree, but is there some strong regulation in law book or its just depends on, as you said, understanding?

Covered by 3.6(e)

3.6(e) If they are available, a team must have three front row players in the front row at all times. In an uncontested scrum, only when there is no available front row replacement or substitute is any other player permitted to play in the front row.

Last edited:

nekny

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Covered by 3.6(e)

3.6(e) If they are available, a team must have three front row players in the front row at all times. In an uncontested scrum, only when there is no available front row replacement or substitute is any other player permitted to play in the front row.

thanks, all clear now.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In games with no man-off, it's a very unfair regulation, that favours the team that caused uncontested