Uncontested scrums & wheeling

gillburt

Referees in England
Post Likes
LoTG state you cannot push in an uncontested scrum.

Does not say you cannot wheel.
However, is there any way that you can wheel a scrum without pushing?

As a former flanker, such things never concerned me as I'd usually unbound early and run off past the off-side line to go and jump up and down on the FH's head.

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
However, is there any way that you can wheel a scrum without pushing?
Yup. You could pull but you'd run the risk of being pinged for pulling on. What would be the point in an uncontested scrum - the team throwing in has to win anyway?

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
yes you can pull, which is illegal, oh and uncontested means you must win your own put in.

So it cant be done.

I am sick to the back teeth of getting the same old question, can 8s pick up. I reply with the hindmost player can, usually confuses a few bight forwards :D

kardex

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
I had a game go to uncontested scrums the other week, blue had the put in and what happens!!! Blue hooker kicks the ball right through to the Red back row. I just played on, but thinking back, I should have reset the scrum..
No complaints from the blue players until the drink kicked in later on.

kardex

gillburt

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yup. You could pull but you'd run the risk of being pinged for pulling on. What would be the point in an uncontested scrum - the team throwing in has to win anyway?

Getting a better angle to launch an attack from the base of the scrum, or a backs move.

Still, never mind - I beleive we have a consensus.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
I had a game go to uncontested scrums the other week, blue had the put in and what happens!!! Blue hooker kicks the ball right through to the Red back row. I just played on, but thinking back, I should have reset the scrum..
No complaints from the blue players until the drink kicked in later on.

kardex

I think you will find that kicking through the scrum is an offence, so should have been an FK (or is it PK?) to Red, or at least play advantage to red.

Yes - uncontested Blue should win the scrum, but they also must not infringe while doing so.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
No you cannot allow an uncontested scrum to be wheeled. The whole point of it is as a safety call as you have untrained / inexperienced / non-competent props / hooker.

The #8 can pick up at the scrum base (unless under juristiction of the London Society who made a unilateral decision to not allow it a few years ago !).

Always make sure you still use CTPE, SH throws in straight, all players are correctly bound (especially flankers) etc.