Unpick this...

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
Good answer, I agree

However try my approach:

I'd strip down my underoos, pile my shoes, then socks, then shorts, then jersey, and whistle in a pile and head off to my car.
When they go to start the game and look for me, they would think I vanished.

Then a quick stop at Walmart for shorts and a T, then to drive thru at Burger King to spend game fees.

Unless of course it was a women's game; I'd keep me socks on.

Trust me, it doesn't work. And the ensuing paperwork was horrendous.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Unfortunately brawls like this are all too common here in France. Not wishing to justify such behavior, but perhaps a little background will help. What you are witnessing is the clash between Amateur Rugby and the rag-tag mercenaries who have come to France to make the Big Time. :-(

The home side are called l’Union Sportive Olympique Nivernaise, they won the match 40-0. 12-0 at half time. All their players are semi pro anyway. Fiji, Samoa, and the rest, some paid more than Top 14
An "amateur" club with an annual budget of €5 million. WTf!

The away team Lombez Samatan, had an 8 hour bus journey to the game, with may explain why the away teams practically always lose in France. The away team are amateurs, and were shocked by the day. All of them took a day off work for the match. Their prop was delighted at the chance to go head to head against a prop who had featured in the RWC. Their scrum half played 6 years in ProD2 for Narbonne and Carcassone, he was disgusted by the attitude of Nevers. The arrogance of their Blazers was blatant. Source : away club's match report
fédérale 1 is the highest level of French Amateur Rugby, next year USON hope to play Professional rugby. Everyone one else in Amateur Rubgy hopes they do aswell, there can be no room for such mercenaries in club rugby. Perhaps next year they will understand that such tip tackles are part of the Pro game. Only they may not get off so lightly for brawling!

Last edited:

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Tackler is RC, stone cold.

Also, the Gold player with no number and grey headgear. He is RC for me, and in the Judiciary, he should be gone for a long time. I count at least nine punches on the same player/victim before he goes out of view in the RHS of the screen at 0:41

RoblLev, I think you're not getting the number because he doesn't have one. Wind back from 0:41; is this the player you are talking about?.

And the Gold #13 for his running closed fist punch as well.

All in all an absolute disgrace for the game.

I hope that the Clubs concerned were hauled over the perpetual coals?

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Red 6 off with a RC for the dangerous tackle.
Yellow 2 off for Hayemakers with a player on the ground.
A red player with a red headguard off for a similar action.
Yellow 7 off too.

Followed by me blowing my whistle for full time.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Red 6 off with a RC for the dangerous tackle.
Yellow 2 off for Hayemakers with a player on the ground.
A red player with a red headguard off for a similar action.
Yellow 7 off too.

Followed by me blowing my whistle for full time.

Why bother with the first bit? In your report simply put "refer to video".

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Just what my society tells us to do. Deal with anything you are sure about and then if you are unhappy with anything else - just call it off and 'just send everyone off' for the discipline panel to decide.
(Only in the context of a mass 30 man brawl of doom)

The report to panel would be - please look at the video.