unusual line out move

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Never seen that before but also can't see the point unless you're getting outclassed in the lineout or can't rely on your hooker to hit the marks.

Also not sure I'd like that as a ref. Technically he's deliberately gone to ground before catching the ball and so can't be tackled/played by the oppositon. Any thoughts on the legality because I can't figure it either way?

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Never seen that before but also can't see the point unless you're getting outclassed in the lineout or can't rely on your hooker to hit the marks.

Also not sure I'd like that as a ref. Technically he's deliberately gone to ground before catching the ball and so can't be tackled/played by the oppositon. Any thoughts on the legality because I can't figure it either way?
Can be another way to dummy. The team I had used a call “fireball” for a long throw to the back. Once the oppo caught on, they called fireball again - and threw to the front as the oppo lineout all moved back a couple of meters … leave a lovely gap for the loosehead to charge through.

in the video, the oppo don’t fall for it and the BC has to either run into a maul or go to ground as tackled. As long as the ball is available, all good as per 13.1.

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Can be another way to dummy. The team I had used a call “fireball” for a long throw to the back. Once the oppo caught on, they called fireball again - and threw to the front as the oppo lineout all moved back a couple of meters … leave a lovely gap for the loosehead to charge through.

in the video, the oppo don’t fall for it and the BC has to either run into a maul or go to ground as tackled. As long as the ball is available, all good as per 13.1.
Im all for inovative line out moves but going to ground before playing the ball doesnt half limit your upside.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Im all for inovative line out moves but going to ground before playing the ball doesnt half limit your upside.
Also puts you under pressure to release the ball with your opponent over the top of you and ready to jackel. No support, turnover. Hold on, PK.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
yeah - bit iffy having a knee on the ground before the ball arrives but would you penalise a stumnbled player in a back line move that ended up like that before the ball arrived?

Maybe have a word about the concept being fine but keep your knee up next time might be a way to "manage" it

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I reffed a game two weeks ago where one team had a curious line out move.

They executed a normal 'dance' with some players switching positions ...

..then the throw came in - underhand and low, about waist height, directly down the centre of the tunnel where it was caught - but not by the front player (who had his back to the thrower throughout, in a position as though he was ready to lift) - but by a player arriving at #2 who stepped into the middle of the tunnel to catch the ball as it arrived.

it was quite effective - the 'dance' had been executed to tempt the defending team back a bit and the #2 position wasn't well defended.

thoughts?
all OK as long as the thrower hasn't balked in any way. If he started with ball overhead I might have a problem.