Usa - Arg

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
In equity you should not allow a team break the law by kicking straight out. Technically in 15s it is not a breach of the law carrying a sanction that allows the referee to play on if time has expired.

Deciding it was deliberate and thus a penalty offence sounds reasonable to me. Warn the team first.

I think the point in question is whether the retake of the kick is still part of the original kick, because the original kick was either not legal or not completed? If it was then time expiring has no effect.

I am glad a precedent has been set by an International ref.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Let's face it - at our levels, this is highly unlikely to be a problem.

As the sole time keeper, just decide that time HAS NOT expired, and continue. Or perhaps earlier you should have made the decision that time expired before the try etc, and don't allow the restart.

Either way - you manage the problem out of the game.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I think the point in question is whether the retake of the kick is still part of the original kick, because the original kick was either not legal or not completed? If it was then time expiring has no effect.
The law does not mention a kick being completed, only a lineout or a scrum.

It's gap, so it needs to be managed. There are various options that have been suggested.

nobackchat

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I was sitting along touch in question behind the dead ball line on the receiving end. 12 seconds left in the game with ARG restarting. Kick went straight into touch. Touch judge and referee were ineffective in communication as to straight into touch. I think the referee should have awarded the FK straight away thus beating full time, however it was not awarded, thus full time was blown. The USA players were also ineffective in not taking the initiative to take the ball to the mark (as a point of law) at midpoint at halfway line and just taking the freekick regardless of the referee inaction. The opportunity lost was the potential dramatic finish of the USA having another bite at the apple to continue the upset path to the Cup Final. But the confluence of events from both parties is what it is ... but I would have rather seen the USA players take their destiny into their own hands, but they did not.