USA Collegiate Sweet 16's

jboulet4648

Referees in America
Post Likes
Returned last night from Penn State University

Refereed Consolation Mens Match on Saturday, Tennesee vs Purdue. Great match, 43-22. Tennesee dominated the first half, but Purdue played a very strong second half, and put some points on the board. Great spirit by both teams, except Tennesee's number 6, who had to miss out on the last 8 minutes for too many times my having his number.

I was assessed on the match, and will add it here when I get it, but it was favorable, as you can see by the editing of my profile!

Sunday I did an Elite 8 Womens Championship Bracket match between Penn State Women and US Military Academy Women.

This was a fantstic match. Great fun, the ladies played with great spirit and intensity. PSU scored three beautiful tries in the first half with a fast and skilled backline attack. The second half Army hung strong, and scored two tries. They had an attacking penalty which may have led to a third score, however, the 9 quick tapped and knocked on. PSU held strong the remaining time to claim vistory and a trip to California for the National Semifinals.

Great weekend, great rugby!
When I get pics I will attach.

J

jboulet4648

Referees in America
Post Likes
786693757206_0_BG.jpg

Here is one of the games I was running touch.....look at that stride! :)

tevisv

Referees in America
Post Likes
Congrats on the bump up...well deserved. I had Tenessee earlier this year against Univ of Georgia. It was a track meet, seeing the boys in orange win very easily, by 50 from what I recall. See you in a few weeks in Columbia.

jboulet4648

Referees in America
Post Likes
Here is the assessment which led to my promotion to B2......

Needed a score of 86 to be above grade....

Attachments

• Boulet Judah 07-04-21 Koiwai.doc
    50 KB · Views: 16

ExHookah

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Nice work Judah! 96% is a very good score, especially for a game at that level and from an evaluator as strict as MK.

I scored 96% in an eval last year, but my grade was lower than yours so the applicable key elements were different. From looking at my report I would not have been given 96% if I was a B3 in that game, but interestingly I think I would still have been 96% as a C1.

So anyway, that's a roundabout way of congratulating you on a great score achieved in difficult circumstances.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Well done Judah, keep up the excellent work!

You are certainly one of the top graded refs on the site.

I believe if we go by grade top regular members are:

Brian Ravenhill (L5)
PeterTC (L6)
Pablo (L6)
Bryan (B2)
JBoulet (B2)

Then loads of 7', more 8's and enough 9's to fill a pub! :D

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Sound performance overall. Well done!

Mark Koiwai said:
One area for improvement would be specifying the perpetrators at the tackle rather than a rote repeating of “release” or “roll away.” Constant instruction at every tackle tended towards white noise.

If you've got a copy of the video and the open-mike, a good exercise would be to write EVERYTHING you say in a match, then go through and see:

i. which phrases were specific and resulted in preventing negative play
ii. which phrases were specific did not prevent negative play
iii. which phrases were non-specific and resulted in preventing negative play
iv. which phrases were non-specific did not prevent negative play
v. which phrases were totally useless and not worth saying

You'd be surprised as to how high the correlation is for part (i) and (iv). It's also worth checking how often you are repeating yourself, thereby condoning the offence in the first place.

Is that 5 Yellow cards and one sending off? How many beers did you need to buy the 4th official for this one?

Why did UT's PK count increase by 33% in the 2nd half (6 to 8)?

Mark Koiwai said:
The use of boot and its subsequent bin occurred after Judah had called a penalty for failure to release the ball carrier.
Did you play advantage for the tackler not rolling away? If so, was there any real advantage to be gained after the tackler had slowed down the ball (I don't know about field position or pace of game)? I ask as this sounds like the retaliatory offence could have been prevented by blowing early, instead of a collegiate player thinking they had free reign to give the boots to a player on the ground.

jboulet4648

Referees in America
Post Likes
I had briefed them that if they wanted advantage, then I expected no boots.....so it was going clean. Then a replacement scrum half came in and he did not hear my match brief I guess, so I had advantage, then the boots....new #9 was an idiot.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Well done Judah, keep up the excellent work!

You are certainly one of the top graded refs on the site.

I believe if we go by grade top regular members are:

Brian Ravenhill (L5)
PeterTC (L6)
Pablo (L6)
Bryan (B2)
JBoulet (B2)

Then loads of 7', more 8's and enough 9's to fill a pub! :D

I object Robbie - you should keep track of your posts and update lists when I get promoted. :nono: