"use it" at scrums

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
http://www.rugbyonslaught.com/searc...:00+01:00&max-results=1&start=4&by-date=false

Thoughts on this?

For me ref called "use it" too early but, once he has done so, what are obligations on the team in possession? Does getting a shove on count as using it?

Law says:
[LAWS]Law 20.10
When a team has the ball at the #8’s feet but the scrum is not moving forward, the referee will call
“Use it!” The team must use the ball immediately (turnover scrum). [/LAWS]

It doesn't say SH or #8 must pick the ball up.

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
My interpretation is if the referee has said "use it" the option of getting a shove on has gone. The team either use the ball through a number 8 pick up or SH using it, or there is a scrum turnover.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It was stationary for quite a few seconds and the ref told them to use it three times, the last time saying use it or lose it. They can't complain if they then lose it by doing nothing.

Yes they got a shove on, but it was hardly convincing, they maybe moved a foot at most.

I assume the referee was following a directive?

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I'd think most people implicitly understand "use it or lose it" to mean "end the phase, back to open play", as with rucks and mauls. Not "keep driving".

The first call was *very* early, though; the ball is still under the number 4's belly!

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Oops, #19 - the loosehead lock, in any case.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm not sure if it's a WR directive, but certainly something I've been advised on: "use it" means "get it out of the scrum", supposedly to stop teams trying to milk penalties at the top level, or improve safety at lower levels.

Definitely made the first call too early, but realised what he'd done. "Use it or lose it" is pretty unambiguous.

merge

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
When the referee says "Use it 8" the ball is still under the second row, it's not until the final "Use it or lose it" that the ball is at the No 8s feet and he can unbind and pick it up. Would the referee be better talking to the scrum half who could legally pick up the ball, though probably under pressure?

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
http://www.rugbyonslaught.com/searc...:00+01:00&max-results=1&start=4&by-date=false

Thoughts on this?

For me ref called "use it" too early but, once he has done so, what are obligations on the team in possession? Does getting a shove on count as using it?

Law says:
[LAWS]Law 20.10
When a team has the ball at the #8’s feet but the scrum is not moving forward, the referee will call
“Use it!” The team must use the ball immediately (turnover scrum). [/LAWS]

It doesn't say SH or #8 must pick the ball up.

Simple. Don't be dick and call 'use it' too early when the ball hasn't gone past the 2nd row.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'm not sure if it's a WR directive, but certainly something I've been advised on: "use it" means "get it out of the scrum", supposedly to stop teams trying to milk penalties at the top level, or improve safety at lower levels.

But isn't it reasonable that getting a shove on after the "use it" meets both the letter and the intent of the law?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I thought "use it" means "phew, the scrum is still pretty much recognisable as a scrum, and the ball has reached somewhere near the back of it, so now FFS please get the ball away before something goes wrong, the scrum disintegrates and I am forced into yet another reset or, worse, forced pick a random PK out the hat, because I am buggered if I know what's happening"

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
But isn't it reasonable that getting a shove on after the "use it" meets both the letter and the intent of the law?

I agree that it meets the letter of the law, but I'm not sure about the intent. I can believe the intent really is to get the ball out, though wouldn't be surprised if it was just to stop timewasting.

On a logistical point, though, getting a shove on immediately is not easy - certainly harder than picking the ball up. I think you'd really be running the risk of the ref deciding you've not used it immediately enough if you go for the shove.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I note that 20.10 (d) is in the 2016 law book, but not the 2015 one. I thought we were using the 2015 one for the current season?

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I note that 20.10 (d) is in the 2016 law book, but not the 2015 one. I thought we were using the 2015 one for the current season?

No not in the southern or western hemispheres. But yes, you (Europe) are still using outdated laws.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

Goes "live" on 1st July for NH

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I cannot find a definition for "use".
As ever the lack of a good editor shows

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes

Even though we are using the 2016 law book, what the ref did in the OP doesn't resemble 20.10(d) as his initial call was way too early.

20.10(d)
When a team has the ball at the number 8’s feet, and is trying to move forward but is not succeeding in doing so, the referee will call “use-it” once the ball has been at the number 8’s feet for a reasonable amount of time (3-5 seconds). The team must then use the ball immediately.

What he was trying to do was manage the situation to comply with this (below) which is a summary of WR Law changes for 2016. It is how the changes were communicated to referees in Australia and I suspect is probably similar to how they were communicated to the SANZAR refs. Note the significant differences open to interpretation between this and the actual wording in 20.10(d).

Law 20.10
“Use it!” The team must use the ball immediately (turnover scrum).

In the OP, the ref does not follow either of these as his initial call is too early. His problem then is that he cannot take the words back and is basically forced to make the Brumbies use it. That means either the #8 or SH pick the ball up, not have the pack get another shove on.

What he should have done at the start of that scrum was to,
(a) get the scrum stable before the feed or
(b FK against Brumbies (dark blue) for early push

Chris_j

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
[LAWS] 20.10 (d) When a team has the ball at the number 8’s feet, and is trying to move forward but is not succeeding in doing so, the referee will call “use-it” once the ball has been at the number 8’s feet for a reasonable amount of time (3-5 seconds). The team must then use the ball immediately. [/LAWS]

So if it is at 8's feet and they are clearly not trying to move forward we should let them stay there for 5 minutes until time is up?

Do these law writers do it deliberately?

I hope we get clear guidance in the NH before the start of next season.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I agree that it meets the letter of the law, but I'm not sure about the intent. I can believe the intent really is to get the ball out, though wouldn't be surprised if it was just to stop timewasting.

The latter. It was introduced to stop a team winding down the clock at a ruck then brought across to apply to scrums too. The law makers don't care what a team does with the ball as long as they are not cynically time wasting.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
[LAWS] 20.10 (d) When a team has the ball at the number 8’s feet, and is trying to move forward but is not succeeding in doing so, the referee will call “use-it” once the ball has been at the number 8’s feet for a reasonable amount of time (3-5 seconds). The team must then use the ball immediately. [/LAWS]

So if it is at 8's feet and they are clearly not trying to move forward we should let them stay there for 5 minutes until time is up?

Do these law writers do it deliberately?

I hope we get clear guidance in the NH before the start of next season.

From USARugby GMG

If the scrum becomes stationary (for 3-5 seconds), and the ball is at the hindmost player’s feet. The referee should instruct the team to “USE IT”. They should play the ball immediately, otherwise award a turnover scrum.