"use it" at scrums

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
My interpretation is if the referee has said "use it" the option of getting a shove on has gone. The team either use the ball through a number 8 pick up or SH using it, or there is a scrum turnover.

I'd agree - excpet he made it the #8's SPECIFIC responsibility to use it when the ball wasn;t even at the #8s reach let alone feet.

Very very poor.

The call was incredibly early too by any measure!

didds

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
But isn't it reasonable that getting a shove on after the "use it" meets both the letter and the intent of the law?

Nope. No more than getting a shove on after the team has been told to "use it" in a maul.

You've had your chance to get your scrum goings forward, and failed. That means you are not clearly dominant in that scrum, and we don't have all day for a pushing contest. The longer it goes on, the more chance there is for a collapse and/or a scrum penalty.

IMO, "use it" in the scrum is one of the best scrum initiatives WR has come up with, and the trial that keeps the non-ball winning SH from going past the opposing flanker is close behind it.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
IMO, "use it" in the scrum is one of the best scrum initiatives WR has come up with, and the trial that keeps the non-ball winning SH from going past the opposing flanker is close behind it.

I dont think anyonr would disagree with you ian. Pity the ref in this case didnt read the memo.

JSAK

Referee, Old Boy, youth coach in Alaska
Post Likes
As several others have pointed out, the problem stemmed from the ref calling "use it" far to early. What would have been the downside had he just said "my bad" and reset the scrum?