Vests

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
After helping out at my daughter's training session while she was drinking a green team and I was having a pint of Greene King's rehydrating fluid we watched the ladies. Red had perfectly normal shirts by stripes had sleeveless vests.

I thought the laws defined a shirt as having sleeves - is there an exception for women?

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Cannot find any such definition in Lawbook or Regulation 12. Except that it is a 'jersey' not a 'shirt'.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Law book says shirts must have sleeves.

[LAWS]The sleeve of a jersey must extend at least half way from the shoulder point to the elbow.[/LAWS]

However this is the 2016 law book that we have been told to ignore!

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I found in the law app - law 4 definition

"The sleeve of a jersey must extend at least half way from the shoulder point to the elbow."

But that is not in in my 2014 printed law book - so when did it come in?
Is it new this year?

Wikipedia defines a jersey:

"A jersey is an item of knitted clothing, traditionally in wool or cotton, with sleeves, worn as a pullover, as it does not open at the front, unlike a cardigan. It is usually close-fitting and machine knitted in contrast to a guernsey that is more often hand knit with a thicker yarn."

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
After helping out at my daughter's training session while she was drinking a green team and I was having a pint of Greene King's rehydrating fluid we watched the ladies. Red had perfectly normal shirts by stripes had sleeveless vests.

I thought the laws defined a shirt as having sleeves - is there an exception for women?

It was 1990, but David Sole?

View attachment 3411

didds