Vote For Me!

Chickref

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I'm in the running to win a couple of scholarships, one of which is people's choice award. But I really need you all to vote for me, and get your friends to vote for me, and anyone you can point towards a computer.

http://www.doyourthing.co.nz/2011-01366/trish-plunket

This is where I make grandioise promises and describe my dream. Mostly to impress the judges for the other scholarships.

But yeah... Please please please vote for me!

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I think you should remove this part:

, then to deal with the politics

You may well need to deal with it, but I wouldn't fanfare it, it may put people off voting for you.

(Just trying to help :) and yes, I've voted for you)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I DON'T want to be stuck waving pompoms on the sidelines

Why not? Surely women should stick to what they are good at :biggrin: :wow: :bday: :norc:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I was going to vote for you then I saw a beach volleyball girl in a bikini. What can I say? :love: It's a hormonal thing

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Wow, 600 votes for a cyclist?
:confused: :chin:

ExHookah

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
I voted.

I agree with Robbie, get the politics comment out of there.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I have had a look through the other candidates.:chin:

I have had a good look at Melissa Ingram and unfortunately I will have to give up refereeing as I am about to go blind!:eek: :drool: :love:

NB I did vote for Chickref before my mouse hand cramped up!:wow:

Last edited:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I have had a good look at Melissa Ingram and
unfortunately I will have to give up refereeing as I am about to go blind! :drool: :love:
I see what you mean though. See HERE.

I see the poor accountant has crashed and burnt ... with 2 votes. :wow:

Voted for you Chickref.

Last edited:

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have had a look through the other candidates.:chin:

I have had a good look at Melissa Ingram and unfortunately I will have to give up refereeing as I am about to go blind!:eek: :drool: :love:

I agree, I would give her one (a vote that is :D :D :D )

Chickref

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Thanks everyone. The politics comment is more to do with the other scholarships that are on offer, unfortunately you can only make one profile.

Chickref

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Ha. I think you'll find I have lots of competition, given how many people are on the site!

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Ha. I think you'll find I have lots of competition, given how many people are on the site!
I'm curious, but what does the scholarship involve (ie what do you get out of it?) and how many scholarships do they give? :chin:

Chickref

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
This is one scholarship, which is $10,000 for the person whose profile gets the most votes.

AMP have a pool of $250,000 to give to people with big goals and who can show how achieving them would help NZ and the public. Other companies give regional scholarships on the same application, and there are specific scholarships for things like funding further education and funding sports or arts.

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
"My goal is to be the first woman to referee super rugby. A tough ask, but I'm determined - First to reach that level, then to deal with the politics"

You won't reach your goal without having to deal with politics first - trust me.

Agree with others, the bit about politics should be removed.

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
"My goal is to be the first woman to referee super rugby. A tough ask, but I'm determined - First to reach that level, then to deal with the politics"

You won't reach your goal without having to deal with politics first - trust me.

Agree with others, the bit about politics should be removed.

Sarah Corrigan went to two WRWCs, refereed the Final last year (i.e. the most difficult match in Womens Rugby), referees on a regular basis in ACT, and is not even on any kind of radar near Super Rugby. The pathway is not through the Women's Panel, but through refereeing Men. That part is certain.

If you want to referee Super Rugby, you will need to compete with the men on every level. Oh, and basically put off having a family until then.

Maybe folks are drinking the Glen Jackson Koolaid, but most folks take YEARS to reach that Level. Sure, Barnes and Joobs are relatively young, but both have 10 / 15 years of refereeing under their belts, and they were "fast tracked".

Yeah, Olympic Sport, Equality, and all that Jazz, but when it comes to pro-contracts, there's no "charity work" involved; you've got to be good enough, and that means being better than anyone, regardless of the gender (in fact, b/c you're the first female, you need to be better than most of the men, b/c if you fall on your ass, that pathway is now blocked forever. No pressure though!)