[Line out] Wales v argentina

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
53 mins into game .
Wales are awarded a line out .
I watched hi lights only , & cant rewind & re watch .

Blue have ball , run down side line .
And blue ends up on floor , via tackle .
Places ball back on floor , & then it looks like his arm or leg goes over touch line .
He is touching ball the same time ,,but to me looks like thats all

Lines man puts up his flag & red awarded line out ..

Any thoughts ,,or can some one put up clip.
To me if my account is correct ,,for me it should of been play on

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I remember thinking it was an odd one when it happened. I thought the Argentinian player (on the floor but with his arm in touch) tried to play the ball back to his side with his foot.

A reply from Chris R to my thread for the same game came up with Law 13.

Law 13 Players on the ground in open play
1. Players, who go to ground to gather the ball or who go to ground with the ball, must immediately:
a. Get up with the ball; or
b. Play (but not kick) the ball; or
c. Release the ball.
Sanction: Penalty.

Last edited:

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Glad some body else saw it also . ( covered in C below )
Its the same as a player running out side field of play & kicking a ball on floor that is still in field of play .
Also a ball beside side line in field of play , a player out side field of play can still touch ball ( even score try if in goal )

TOUCH OR TOUCH-IN-GOAL
1. The ball is in touch or touch-in-goal when:
a. The ball or ball-carrier touches the touchline, touch-in-goal line or anything
beyond.
b. A player, who is already touching the touchline, touch-in-goal line or anything
beyond, catches or holds the ball.
2. The ball is not in touch or touch-in-goal if:
a. The ball reaches the plane of touch but is caught, knocked or kicked by a player
who is in the playing area.
b. A player jumps, from within or outside the playing area, and catches the ball, and
then lands in the playing area, regardless of whether the ball reached the plane of
touch.
c. A player, who is in touch, kicks or knocks the ball, but does not hold it, provided it
has not reached the plane of touch.

oliver

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Searched through and found some clips

[video]https://gfycat.com/TerribleNeglectedDartfrog[/video]

[video]https://gfycat.com/TastyFlashyKingfisher[/video]

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Also saw it.
Initially thought the AR was wrong but after reviewing it is clear to me that the player was in contact with the ball when he was in touch. He tried to play the ball with his feet AFTER he was in touch. I would say 1a applies and good spot by AR.

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Hi balones .
Thats my point .
Just because you are in touch ,,that does not mean you cant touch a ball that is in field of play .
The 2 videos above ,,shows just that .

I would suggest wrong call by lines man ,,it should of been play on

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Hi balones .
Thats my point .
Just because you are in touch ,,that does not mean you cant touch a ball that is in field of play .
The 2 videos above ,,shows just that .

I would suggest wrong call by lines man ,,it should of been play on

Had he took possesion of the ball , then that would be in touch

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It should have been a PK under Law 13 .. see post #2 above

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
It should have been a PK under Law 13 .. see post #2 above
Exactly.

The Blue player was off his feet and out of the game. It just didn't look right when I saw it live - but I just wasn't sure what the sanction was.

Last edited:

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
If you are in touch and play the ball, you have taken it into touch.
Except for the case of a loose ball on the ground in the opposition in-goal - which you may touch down for a try.
If the ball is in your own in-goal technically you touch the ball down, but as the result of a defensive touch down and a defender taking (not throwing) the ball into touch in goal is identical it is a bit moot.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If you are in touch and play the ball, you have taken it into touch.

unfortunately - no, that's not the case

[LAWS]18.2 The ball is not in touch or touch-in-goal if:
a The ball reaches the plane of touch but is caught, knocked or kicked by a player who is in the playing area.
b A player jumps, from within or outside the playing area, and catches the ball, and then lands in the playing area, regardless of whether the ball reached the plane of touch.
c A player jumps from the playing area and knocks (or catches and releases) the ball back into the playing area, before landing in touch or touch-in-goal, regardless of whether the ball reached the plane of touch.
d A player, who is in touch, kicks or knocks the ball, but does not hold it, provided it has not reached the plane of touch.[/LAWS]

So it wasn't touch, however it should have been a PK

[LAWS]
13.3 A player on the ground without the ball is out of the game and must:
Allow opponents who are not on the ground to play or gain possession of the ball.
Not play the ball.
Not tackle or attempt to tackle an opponent.
[/LAWS]

So a poor decision

Balones

Post Likes
The way that I saw it after review was that he went into touch. - Hand on touch line. At that stage he was still in contact with the ball, and the ball was off the ground as he had sort of released it and was perhaps trying to keep the ball in play. He was too late. It was this that the AR called. Therefore he was in touch BEFORE he tried to play the ball with his foot. That in turn meant that no penalty offence was possible.

In his ‘sort of release’ he was trying to place the ball and was in the process of pushing the ball back. Therefore he was ‘holding’ the ball so 18.2d does not apply. This law applies to a loose ball.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
That would explain it, and it's a more sympathetic call

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
53 mins into game .
Wales are awarded a line out .
I watched hi lights only , & cant rewind & re watch .

Blue have ball , run down side line .
And blue ends up on floor , via tackle .
Places ball back on floor , & then it looks like his arm or leg goes over touch line .
He is touching ball the same time ,,but to me looks like thats all

Lines man puts up his flag & red awarded line out ..

Any thoughts ,,or can some one put up clip.
To me if my account is correct ,,for me it should of been play on

I've just got hold of a copy. Do you mean 46 mins into the game? (there's nothing at 53 as you describe.) In the incident I'm watching the tackle by Wales 9 on Arg 14 . The player has released the ball before going into touch BUT he remains in contact with it untill in touch. I'd have to say the call is, for me, correct.

I therefore think your account to be in error and therefore it should have been a line out.

Last edited:

Balones

Post Likes
I've just got hold of a copy. Do you mean 46 mins into the game? (there's nothing at 53 as you describe.) In the incident I'm watching the tackle by Wales 9 on Arg 14 . The player has released the ball before going into touch BUT he remains in contact with it untill in touch. I'd have to say the call is, for me, correct.

I therefore think your account to be in error and therefore it should have been a line out.

Be careful Marc, they’ll be accusing us of Welsh bias and making whispers about the Welsh Mafia on this forum!��

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Odd that I'm accused of the reverse in Wales.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Be careful Marc, they’ll be accusing us of Welsh bias and making whispers about the Welsh Mafia on this forum!��

I think you'll find that the right word is 'Taffia'