Wales v Fiji scrumtime, 5m out from Fiji line

SimplySimon

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Can anyone give a better reason as to why it took 7 scrum resets when Wales were on the Fiji 5m line, other than that the Ref Jorge Garcia (excuse my spelling) didn't really what the hell was going on in the front row?

From the view of the TV camera, it was clear and obvious that the first 3 of those scrums went down due to Fiji Loosehead firstly binding onto Adam Jones shorts, then just not binding at all and then binding on the arm.

I feel the most amusing part was the fact the Fijian coach, 50-60m away on the touchline could work out what was going on, as he replaced said prop after the 6th scrum reset, yet the ref, who was actually at the scrum couldn't!

Anyway, thats my rant almost over - at least Wales got what they deserved in the end, a penalty try for the Fijian Scrum Half trying to take the ball out of the Welsh 2nd Row!!

And before you all start, I agree that Wales got what they deserved with the scoreline too!!!!!:Nerv:

SimplySimon

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Oh, and I accept one of the seven collapses was due to the pitch.... the ref did call that one correctly!:chin:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
You do realise your Society Chairman is from that side of the bridge :chin: :nono: :wink:

SimplySimon

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Indeed I do, as am I. How many other people would have wasted another 80 minutes of their lives watching it ??!! ;-)

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Not seeing the game - I cannot comment on the rights and worngs of what the ref did or did not see so will not comment on what you saw...but perhaps you could email him (Jorge) BCM's scrum notes as a helpful tip sheet?:biggrin:

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Please see Ian's PT thread. The ball was out of then the Welsh number 8 brought it illegally back into the scrum, should've been a FK against Wales, not a PT for them

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Jorge Garcia :biggrin:

I think you mean Jerome Garces!!

garces.jpg

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Hello all,
Jérôme Garces, who is now 36 years old, is one of only 3 professional referees at this (Elite) level for the French Rugby "Union".
Christophe Berdos and Romain Poite being the other two pros.
(Joël Jutge having moved on to a position with the DTNA ; and the only other Frenchman to have ever been pro-elite, Eric Darrière, has moved on the IRB panel.)
While Monsieur Garces' English is appearantly fairly good, I do think some of Brian Moore's advice might be lost on him.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Jonathon davies seemed to consider that then prop replacement was possibly tactical in that it may have avoided a yellow card for the next infringement etc .... "resetting the clock" so to speak, or emotional blackmail not to YC a prop that has been on for 1 scrum etc...

didds

SimplySimon

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Didds, I agree with JD too.

Ian, I did indeed mean Jerome Garces, as I said my spelling is atrocious ;-)

Oli K - I actually agree with what you say reference the * bringing the ball back in, but how many scrums had been taken down before that incident??