Walsh

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Thought he created some trouble for the wink. The obstruction looked material to me and Walsh just looks like now that he is ignoring an offense.

As regards the fight I dont think it could have been handled differently in this case. Vinnie Munro says that his view is obstructed by the way the players are facing. He says he sees Black 3 swinging punches but cant tell if they land. Walsh says for that its a penalty against Black. Warns both teams, has a laugh with both, berates Black captain for getting involved, play restarts with a penalty.

I think the fight was handled quite well. Would have been a card Im sure if the players were turned differently. All Munro can see are their backs.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I thought that that was actually nicely handled.

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Does it matter if they land? He was definitely swinging, and the intent was to injure.

It is still a penalty and it was penalised. Without having more information I feel it would have been wrong to issue a card.

I agree with Simonsmith - Walsh handled it well for me.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Yeah seemed to handle it well.
Throwing punches are just a talking to IMO unless they land and then I work upwards from yellow.

As for the obstruction the kicker was far back and I don't think the defender would've been able to get there to tackle him or charge the ball down so the ball would've been kicked that far anyway. All it needed was a chat on the run.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I think it was all handled well. haven't watched the match - but question would be if the rest of the match was smooth?

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Handled well in my eyes. Why escalate it?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Well handled I thought.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Does it matter if they land? He was definitely swinging, and the intent was to injure.

Yes it does matter.

(a) Punching or striking. A player must not strike an opponent with the fist or arm, including
the elbow, shoulder, head or knee(s).
Sanction: Penalty kick

The offence is striking a player, not swinging a punch. If they don't land then no offence has been committed.

This is what I was told when my RC for a kick at the head which missed, was thrown out.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
So if a player swings a punch at you as ref but misses, would you not send him off?

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Think its slightly different Toby. Consider these situations.

- Slight tussle and war of words after a scrum. You go in to sort it out. Blue#3 and Red #1 are opposite each other and Blue says "why dont you get the f##k out of my face"

- Slight tussle after a scrum. You go in to sort it out. You call over Blue #3 who says "why dont you get the f##k out of my face"

Difference situation entirely.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Think its slightly different Toby. Consider these situations.

- Slight tussle and war of words after a scrum. You go in to sort it out. Blue#3 and Red #1 are opposite each other and Blue says "why dont you get the f##k out of my face"

- Slight tussle after a scrum. You go in to sort it out. You call over Blue #3 who says "why dont you get the f##k out of my face"

Difference situation entirely.

Clearly I'm playing Devils advocate (and standards for behaviour to ref are clearly different to behaviour towards other players) BUT I'm firmly in the camp that just because you are a bad puncher you shouldn't get away with it.

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Well its still a penalty Toby if you feel that is a good management option and possibly a card but we treat a punch to arm differnt to punch to head. Similarly we treat a punch to "nothing" differently to a punch to the arm etc.

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
FWIW I saw it as handbags and would probably have treated it similarly to Walsh

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
From what they saw well dealt with - from what the TV saw YC (maybe red)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
In law, attempting to commit a crime is a crime in itself. You can even be convicted of attempted murder when the victim is already dead.

I am somewhat surprised that an attempted kick at someone's head was thrown out.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
In law, attempting to commit a crime is a crime in itself. You can even be convicted of attempted murder when the victim is already dead.

I am somewhat surprised that an attempted kick at someone's head was thrown out.

Extract from letter sent to me and the club concerned.

The referee’s report mentions that "players name" was sent off for aiming a kick towards an opponent’s head while the player was on the floor and that the kick did not connect.

As a result of the description in the referee’s report the case was discussed by members of the Disciplinary Committee when they met on XXXX at XXXX RFC.
They were all agreed in their decision that there was no case to answer and as such no charge would be raised against the player "name". Law 10.4.(c) states “A player must not kick an opponent”, it is clear in this instance therefore no offence was committed.

Can you therefore please notify "players name" he is free to continue playing for XXX RFC and there will be no blemish on his disciplinary record.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Extract from letter sent to me and the club concerned.

The referee’s report mentions that "players name" was sent off for aiming a kick towards an opponent’s head while the player was on the floor and that the kick did not connect.

As a result of the description in the referee’s report the case was discussed by members of the Disciplinary Committee when they met on XXXX at XXXX RFC.
They were all agreed in their decision that there was no case to answer and as such no charge would be raised against the player "name". Law 10.4.(c) states “A player must not kick an opponent”, it is clear in this instance therefore no offence was committed.

Can you therefore please notify "players name" he is free to continue playing for XXX RFC and there will be no blemish on his disciplinary record.

smells_like_bullshit.jpg

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes

Yes but you would be found innocent if the charge was murder ;)

Its all to do with the wording, if the report said he kicked him and he didnt then he is not guilty. If he dimissed him for an act contratary to good sportsmanship and the report said he attempted to kick him in the head, he would be no doubt banned.