Waratahs & 2 Home Grounds

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
So the Waratahs play all home games at Allianz Stadium (Sydney Football Stadium at Moore Park) except for when they play the Brumbies (for some reason they think they'll get more than 44,000 to a Brumbies game) when they move it to ANZ Stadium (85,000 capacity).

If the Tahs win their Super Rugby semi final, they will host the Final at ANZ Stadium and therefore give up their real home ground advantage.
I would rather see Allianz packed to the rafters than get a couple of thousand more into a half empty bigger stadium where they play one competition game each year.

Not Happy Jan.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Its a business. More seats means more money.
Get used to it. :wink:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
also it's a great pathway for a club to build a bigger stand. If you can show, in advance of your investment that you can fill a larger ground, it makes the cost-benefit case for enlargement a lot more secure.

Plus when you enlarge you have already have an audience to sell the new tickets to (you will, of course have sold tickets on-line on special offers to create a distribution list).

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
also it's a great pathway for a club to build a bigger stand. If you can show, in advance of your investment that you can fill a larger ground, it makes the cost-benefit case for enlargement a lot more secure.

Plus when you enlarge you have already have an audience to sell the new tickets to (you will, of course have sold tickets on-line on special offers to create a distribution list).

For a moment, reading this, I thought it was a spam advert for a penis enlargement!!!!!!! :biggrin::norc:

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes

Waratahs home ground at Allianz Stadium holds 44,000. Biggest crowd for home and away games over the past couple of seasons would have been about 26,000 against the Brumbies I think. Plenty of room for nearly 70% growth at home.
Usually between 18 and 22,000. Put those people at ANZ (85,000 capacity) and it looks like a poor crowd.

Phil,
More seats = more money only rings true when the seats are not empty.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So the Waratahs play all home games at Allianz Stadium (Sydney Football Stadium at Moore Park) except for when they play the Brumbies (for some reason they think they'll get more than 44,000 to a Brumbies game) when they move it to ANZ Stadium (85,000 capacity).

If the Tahs win their Super Rugby semi final, they will host the Final at ANZ Stadium and therefore give up their real home ground advantage.
I would rather see Allianz packed to the rafters than get a couple of thousand more into a half empty bigger stadium where they play one competition game each year.

Not Happy Jan.

What can I say...typical Horror-tahs administration arrogance?

(Sits back and waits for nibble)

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
What can I say...typical Horror-tahs administration arrogance?

(Sits back and waits for nibble)

No nibble, just full agreeance (is that a new word?)
Even a Tahs v Crusaders or Tahs v Brumbies final would be flat out filling Allianz.
If they get more than 50.000 there if they make it, I'll be happy to eat my words.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Looks like we're struggling to get more than 12,000 here for this weekend!! So the problem exists here too.

I must say that seeing a distinct lack of support from the elite level down to grassroots rugby (from which these guys were developed) doesn't make me want to part with my cash to attend!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
No nibble, just full agreeance (is that a new word?)
Even a Tahs v Crusaders or Tahs v Brumbies final would be flat out filling Allianz.
If they get more than 50.000 there if they make it, I'll be happy to eat my words.

Try "agreement". It works for us English.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Try "agreement". It works for us English.

I'm an innovator
Not really. The first quotation in the OED is from 1536, but the word is now considered obsolete. Nonetheless it continues sporadically to try and get into the English language, but few dictionaries are in agreement with including it other than as an error or obsolete. It is not allowed in Scrabble (which otherwise seems to allow almost any collection of letters these days).

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Not really. The first quotation in the OED is from 1536, but the word is now considered obsolete. Nonetheless it continues sporadically to try and get into the English language, but few dictionaries are in agreeance with including it other than as an error or obsolete. It is not allowed in Scrabble (which otherwise seems to allow almost any collection of letters these days).

FTFY:biggrin:
So it would seem that rather than being an innovator, I'm just late as usual. Very late.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Looks like we're struggling to get more than 12,000 here for this weekend!! So the problem exists here too.

I must say that seeing a distinct lack of support from the elite level down to grassroots rugby (from which these guys were developed) doesn't make me want to part with my cash to attend!

It was nice to see Rugby HQ show a clip from a Shute Shield game last night - probably one of the best tries I have ever seen from last weeks Warringah v Manly local derby (and I was standing on the hill next to the Warringah fullbacks mum & dad as he set it up). Rare for them to show any local level rugby