Warburton Red Card - IRB Directive

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
RL refs don't routinely red-card such tackles, how come they don't have a queue of injured players lining up to sue them?

But they did, and they had a lot of injuries, and players did sue.

AFAIK, Rugby League outlawed the Spear tackle about 10 years ago after a spate of injuries, some of which forced the retirement of some international players, one of which included Jarrod McCracken

Jarrod McCracken's football career came to a premature end in Round 15 of the 2000 NRL Competition in a game against the Melbourne Storm when Storm players Stephen Kearney and Marcus Bai performed a dangerous spear tackle on him, inflicting a career-ending neck injury.

Click on image for story

McCracken later successfully sued the Melbourne Storm and the two players involved for general damages, totalling US$90,000 plus interest.

The NRL responded by introducing the Notes to the Law I mentioned earlier, and quite a number of players who continued to execute these tackles were sent off and/or got lengthy suspensions.

That we don't see a queue NOW is because they have an eight year head start on us. There hasn't been a spear tackle in NRL for a few seasons now. Clearly, the deterrent has worked!!!

Last edited:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Sam Warbuton has just been on R5Live.

Accepts the nature of the tackle and the RC that went with it. Appreciates that if we are to attract/retain childen (and their parents) to/in the sport then tackles like his are unacceptable.

Fine ambassador for the Wales and the WRU - ironically hasn't been told anything about the captaincy now Matthew Rees is fit!!:wow:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
.... Fine ambassador for the Wales and the WRU - ironically hasn't been told anything about the captaincy now Matthew Rees is fit!! :wow:
If I was a betting man, I'd put £10 on Sam Warburton keeping the captaincy.

davidlandy

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
That we don't see a queue NOW is because they have an eight year head start on us. There hasn't been a spear tackle in NRL for a few seasons now. Clearly, the deterrent has worked!!!

... which the NRL managed to accomplish without making it a mandatory red card, allowing the ref to judge each situation on its merits.

I rest my case.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
... which the NRL managed to accomplish without making it a mandatory red card, allowing the ref to judge each situation on its merits.

I rest my case.

...on the dead player's grave.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
... and which player would that be, Adam?

Manny Castillo

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10575238

Rugby League had a high profile player's career ended by a spear tackle

Rugby Union had a player killed by one.

Perhaps that is why we take a tougher line.

But in answer to your "rested case" statement, part of the NRL campaign was the issue of a zero tolerance directive against spear tackles. That left a lot of arguments and criticisms about referee judgement over what constitutes a spear tackle, especially when the the referee exercised his discretion to send or not to send off a player. The iRB have taken that discretion away and made it mandatory, which means the referee has no choice, and therefore, any criticism is deflected away from the referee.

By the way, Rugby League has had mandatory sending off in the past. Tripping an opponent has been an automatic sending-off offence in the NRL since the mid 1990's, and it still is, but you don't ever see players tripped these days.

I wonder why that is :chin:

Last edited:

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
By the way, Rugby League has had mandatory sending off in the past. Tripping an opponent has been an automatic sending-off offence in the NRL since the mid 1990's, and it still is, but you don't ever see players tripped these days.

I wonder why that is

Because they can break peoples jaws and get a 1 match ban, much more fun!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Because they can break peoples jaws and get a 1 match ban, much more fun!!! :pepper:

Fixed that for you :biggrin:

To davidlandy

Spear tackles are not the only occasions when mandatory cards are supposed to be issued. When a player commits an act of foul play that results on a penalty try being awarded, the player is required to be given a YC or RC. This is not a directive, its a Law of the Game.

[LAWS]10.2 UNFAIR PLAY
(a) Intentionally Offending. A player must not intentionally infringe any Law of the Game, or play unfairly. The player who intentionally offends must be either admonished, or cautioned
that a send off will result if the offence or a similar offence is committed, or sent off.

Sanction: Penalty kick
A penalty try must be awarded if the offence prevents a try that would probably otherwise have been scored. A player who prevents a try being scored through foul play must either
be cautioned and temporarily suspended or sent off.
[/LAWS]

Last edited:

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Ian - correct. Though for the sake of completeness the law itself if modified by iRB ruling that the caution or dismissal follow deliberate foul play.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Ian - correct. Though for the sake of completeness the law itself if modified by iRB ruling that the caution or dismissal follow deliberate foul play.

Yes, I forgot to mention that, but it still boils down to a mandatory card.

Deliberate Foul Play + Penalty Try = :noyc: or :norc:

Gareth

Referees in South Africa
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Did they sight after the RWC or after the RWC?

Gareth

Referees in South Africa
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I mean Before or after the RWC

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Is that a statement or a question?

He lifts him but neither drops nor drives him into the ground. Different scenario to the Warburton incident. Yellow card is covered in the directives as was the red for Sam.