[Mini/Midi] Was he in touch?

Humero

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Was TJ for an U12 game last Sunday. Opposition player is running down the wing with the ball, gets tackled by one of our players. Tackler goes into touch but attacking player and ball are in FoP, tackler still has hold of attackers leg and pulls it onto his body which is on top of the touch line. Is the attacking player in touch? His leg never touched the line or the ground only the body of the defending player who was on the touch line.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Was TJ for an U12 game last Sunday. Opposition player is running down the wing with the ball, gets tackled by one of our players. Tackler goes into touch but attacking player and ball are in FoP, tackler still has hold of attackers leg and pulls it onto his body which is on top of the touch line. Is the attacking player in touch? His leg never touched the line or the ground only the body of the defending player who was on the touch line.

First of all, welcome to these forums. It is awesome that U12 is taken seriously enough that you ask this question; I've never had TJs for the minis.

As you describe it, I would not raise the flag, even if I were AR for an international match (as I have been for U18). Although I can't see anything in law to support the opposite view either, my main argument comes from continuity of play. When there is no safety issue, I would rather not whistle.

It seems, from your description, that this was your own interpretation too, and that perhaps a parent or even coach from the other side disagreed.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
[LAWS]The ball is in touch when a player is carrying it and the ball carrier (or the ball) touches the touchline or the ground beyond the touchline. The place where the ball carrier (or the ball) touched or crossed the touchline is where it went into touch[/LAWS].

Humero

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
[LAWS]The ball is in touch when a player is carrying it and the ball carrier (or the ball) touches the touchline or the ground beyond the touchline. The place where the ball carrier (or the ball) touched or crossed the touchline is where it went into touch[/LAWS].

Thanks for the replies, I didn't flag as his body or the ball hadn't touched the line or the ground beyond, as Crossref has shown form the Laws quote. It was one of my own fellow coaches who complained to me - mainly because we were losing and the opposition went onto score another try from the resultant ruck. Always like to have TJ's at our U12 games, usually one of the opposition coaches and one of our own - makes it easier for the ref and lets the kids know what its like as they move through the ages.