Was he offside?

Mat 04

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
ex-lucy said:
The refs dont do it in Internationals and otehr 1st class matches... so why should we ?

I seen it penalised straight away in one of the lions games.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Davet said:
I never yet met a player who intended the ball to go to the opposition.

garryowen's?

kick and chase?

dribble and bounce?

You see it every game you watch!

didds

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
OK fair cop - sometimes players do give a way possession; its generally a trade off for territory. I was considering simply the terms of the situation as described - so if I may rephrase - I have certainly never seen a player willingly give away possession to opposition close to his own goal-line.

However my basic point remains - why on earth would we assume that player kicking the ball through a ruck is actually trying to give possession to the opposition rather than create a chance for himslef or team-mates to move onto the ball going forward. i.e. "win" the ball.

To penalise a player who legally part of the ruck for kicking the ball forward seems odd.

Especially given the fact (as you all rightly say) that players kick the ball forward constantly in every game.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Davet said:
However my basic point remains - why on earth would we assume that player kicking the ball through a ruck is actually trying to give possession to the opposition rather than create a chance for himslef or team-mates to move onto the ball going forward. i.e. "win" the ball..

I'd go with that Dave, no problems.

To penalise a player who legally part of the ruck for kicking the ball forward seems odd.

And I agree again. Do players that fly hack straight into an opponents arms get penalised? Of course not (certain age levels aside where fly hacking is not permitted of course).

didds