Watyagonnado

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I think I start with a scrum, blue ball, where it hit the player going off. I would be uncomfortable playing on in that situation. Not sure if there is a law reference, but that is what I would do.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
as would I. Same as if the ball had hit a dog that had run onto the field. Easier sell than the try.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Agree, scrum where it hit the player.

WTF is the ref doing restarting play when someone leaving the pitch hasn’t left?!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
as would I. Same as if the ball had hit a dog that had run onto the field. Easier sell than the try.

I would give a scrum as well, but I wouldn't sell it with a 'dog' analogy !!

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Agree, scrum where it hit the player.

WTF is the ref doing restarting play when someone leaving the pitch hasn’t left?!

I think that is forgiveable to be honest. No sense in holding up the game so that an injured player can limp off the field. I would have waited for the player to get some distance away and then restarted, just like this ref did.

This sort of incident happens less than once a career.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Good to see the AR well up with play! :biggrin:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think that is forgiveable to be honest. No sense in holding up the game so that an injured player can limp off the field. I would have waited for the player to get some distance away and then restarted, just like this ref did.

This sort of incident happens less than once a career.

Well, it's not uncommon to have a physio and injured player on the pitch during live play. If the ball gets close to them you stop play.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Did the referee play an advantage for the team in red/white having too many players on pitch?:) Law 3.3.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Like everyone else my first instinct is scrum to the team who kicked it, but not sure I could find a law to back it up?
But then again...Equity over Law.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
See, I was inclined to play on (based on the players and effect the bounce had) as doesn’t look like anyone was disadvantaged (wider angle view may change that opinion) but sure, can understand the scrum for ‘any other thing not covered in law’ reasons.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
i think a lot of people are missing the important point here : if you have an injured player & physio on the pitch then the moment the ball comes near them you must stop the game, for safety.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
[LAWS]6.10

If the ball or ball-carrier touches the referee or other non-player and neither team gains an advantage, play continues. If either team gains an advantage in the field of play a scrum is awarded to the team that last played the ball.[/LAWS]

I think Blue gained an advantage, so scrum to blue.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Even if there were uncontested scrums would you position yourself where this referee is standing?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
i think a lot of people are missing the important point here : if you have an injured player & physio on the pitch then the moment the ball comes near them you must stop the game, for safety.

Don’t disagree, I’m assuming the refs decision making around the injured player on the pitch has already gone to pot so ignoring that aspect ��

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Even if there were uncontested scrums would you position yourself where this referee is standing?

No - although in this case it was an OK position given how the ball was played, if blue had kept the ball and taken into contact the referee is on the wrong side of the tackle area, also not in a good position to police the defending offside line or see the pass from the base of the scrum (for potential knock on).

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Blow up as soon as the ball looks to be heading for the injured player - I don't want people racing in with their eyes on the ball when there are injuries/non-players in the area.

I'd also say blue have the advantage as the ball's landed behind the defensive line, with blue running onto it.

Ref calls "play on", as far as I can hear, so that was not his judgement.