[Law] Wayne Barnes Ire V Sco 2018 6 Nations

Richard smith

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
[FONT=&quot]How lax with his interpretation of the laws of the game of Rugby Union was Mr Barnes this afternoon in Dublin????????[/FONT]

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Would you assist us with a few example?

Richard smith

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Would you assist us with a few example?
His interpretation of the tackle law for example. IMHO he allowed the tackled player to hold onto the ball far too long. My understanding of the tackle law has the everybody's hands coming away from the ball after arrival on the floor
This occurred on more than one occasion in Dublin this afternoon

Can I ask anyone finding footage of the above situation to post it up :scot::scot:

PS Before Anyone asks, NO this is not Sour Grapes from a defeated Scotsman

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
His interpretation of the tackle law for example. IMHO he allowed the tackled player to hold onto the ball far too long. My understanding of the tackle law has the everybody's hands coming away from the ball after arrival on the floor
This occurred on more than one occasion in Dublin this afternoon

Can I ask anyone finding footage of the above situation to post it up :scot::scot:

PS Before Anyone asks, NO this is not Sour Grapes from a defeated Scotsman

How can anyone post the "above situation" when you have not given any specific details of a situation.

Did he treat both sides the same and was he consistant throughout?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
[FONT="]How lax with his interpretation of the laws of the game of Rugby Union was Mr Barnes this afternoon in Dublin????????[/FONT]
I thought Barnes had a very good game, and made a difficult job look effortless.

Richard smith

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Did he treat both sides the same and was he consistant throughout?
NO IMHO. He would allow the Irish as long as they needed to get the ball away from the tackle area and when Scotland took the same amount of time as the Irish to get the ball away from the tackle area , he would penalise. Inconsistency at the Tackle at best

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Sounds like sour grapes to me!!

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Thought he had a good game, clear, consistent, kept control

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
NO IMHO. He would allow the Irish as long as they needed to get the ball away from the tackle area and when Scotland took the same amount of time as the Irish to get the ball away from the tackle area , he would penalise. Inconsistency at the Tackle at best

I think you've clarified things. No need to procede. You can't give any example of his and all these arrors went against one side. There we go.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like sour grapes to me!!

They seem to be a little over ripe at best.

- - - Updated - - -

All I ask for is a consistent application of the laws of the game, IMHO Wayne Barnes was inconsistency personified this afternoon

No you are accusing him of refereeing the two sides differently.

Richard smith

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
No you are accusing him of refereeing the two sides differently.
Maybe I am. I will say this however, until WR get the elite referees applying the LOTG in a consistent manner, My viewing of International Rugby will remain as sporadic as it has been in the last 10 years

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Thought he had a good game, clear, consistent, kept control

Is there a new referee on the circuit also named Wayne Barnes????:biggrin::biggrin::rolleyes::sarc:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Maybe I am.

No "maybe" about it!

And you still provide not a shred of evidence of the bias you perceive in his "unfair" treatment of the Scots. All you can say isa randow blanket comment. I'm out of this thread until you can support you clains and give us detail to look at. Until then, you comes over and a sore loser following yet another failure by the Scots away from home.

I suppose the interception of the pass leading to the first try was WB's fault?

Last edited:

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I think WB might have made one critical mistake.
Green kick and chaser contests ball with blue which immediately becomes maul.
The maul ends unsuccessfully.
Who gets the put in?

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I didnt see most of the game .
I think the knock on by scotland at end of game was a big call by wayne barnes .

Scotland im sure would be more concerned about their own mis handling of simple line passes .
Than that of the referee .

However i did notice he called a few players by their names .
This i dont like ,,dont know why ,,it just doesnt sit right with me

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Who gets the put in?

Law says , unless from kick off / restart kick .
The team who caught ball , will get put in .

If from kick off / restart kick ( even 22 drop ,,,,im sure is included )
If catcher is immediayely held up ( choke tackle ) .
Then the kicking team get put in .
But the emphasis is on immediately

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Law says (2018 wording but meaning has not changed)

if a maul is formed immediately after a player has directly caught an opponent’s kick in open play

My bold.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Who gets the put in?
There is no turnover in this case, so the catcher's team gets the put in - assuming it isn't a Kick Off or restart kick.

What time on the game clock so that I could have a look at it?

... Scotland im sure would be more concerned about their own mis handling of simple line passes ... Than that of the referee.
Exactly. Scotland ballsed up at least 3 relatively easy tries by dropping the ball or chucking daft passes. That's at least 15 points down the pan at worst and 21 points assuming they were all converted.

Last edited:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Having not seen the game.

If in open play, Green kicked and Blue caught the ball and a maul immediately formed - NO T/O (Blue Scrum)

If in open play, Green kicked and Green caught the ball and a maul immediately formed - T/O(Blue Scrum) [Law refers to an "opponent" (of the kicker).]

If in open play, Green kicked and It was unclear who / they caught it togethercaught the ball and a maul immediately formed, Blue Scrum [ Rational if with paly had caudgh it. Scenario 1 OR 2 would apply and in both cases it would be a Blue scrum so why not?]

If in open play, Green kicked and Blue caught the ball and no maul formed player straight to ground and a ruck formed instead.

We have an unplayable ruck rather than an unplayable maul therfore, ruck laws apply. so "The team last moving forward. If neither
team was moving forward, the attackingeam in their opponents half) team. Which means it could be a Blue or Green ball.

I am guessing that Barnes gave the scrum to Ireland. Is it possible it was a ruck and not a maul and Green were going forward?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
As Taff says Time clock (or a clip) would be handy.