Welsh Rugby Union / Regions mess

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Well I believe that the PRL had one of its men at the meeting and he voted to hold the money back as well (in his ERC committee hat as opposed to his PRL hat)

Interesting to read the Ospreys Robert Davis bemoan the fact that there is no pro 12 or european cup, there is a pro 12 competition in place for next year and there are plans for a european cup for next year, you cant opt out of a competition and then complain that you are not in a competition !!!!

It would appear that ERC ltd are budgeting for a closure and any implied costs as a result ie: redundancies, tax etc, you cant pay out a dividend to the shareholders and knowingly leave a hole in the accounts. I didnt think this could get any messier but I was wrong.

ATTR im not blaming the welsh in my first statement I realise that they would prefer a better tournament. (btw what have you against Connacht ?? Galway is a fine spot for a weekend away :biggrin:, Id even buy you a pint if you came over !)

Davies is stating facts:
As he wrote there was no European tournament. Also it has been common knowledge for quite a while that the PRO 12 is: a) losing its sponsor and b) losing one if not both Italians. That options. Neither factor is down to RRW! So the comment is Totally not down to the RRW decision to seek to find alternative competitions.

The money the ERC is with holding in contractual participant payments. They cannot be legally withheld. The ERC is now in breech of contract and their actions show exactly why they cannot be trusted. Of course the (so called) regions can sue the WRU as it is owed the money by the ERC and IT owes the money to the sides. A potentially damaging mistake by the WRU.

What have I against Connacht? Nothing I love to come over there. From what I'm told it is by far the best of the provinces to visit for the rugby, even if it is a bit windy at times! Sadly it's not Bath, Leicester etc.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Jeez, you're ill informed about any number of issues!

Care to put my right on any of them? You've not done so in several weeks so far.

The list of Irish visits for most Welshies is:

1; Connacht (Cracking people if wet and windy)
2; Leinster (A beautiful venue)
3; Munster ( Ok at best)
4; Ulster (Unpleasant all round)

Those may be unfair but they are the perception people have. Ireland is not that attractive sorry. Even you got away!!

Last edited:

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
... Ireland is not that attractive sorry...
A million overseas visitors (mostly from the UK) each year wouldn't agree with that statement!
Millions more worldwide (here France, in particular) only dream of going to the Emerald Isle...:ireland:
Still, like the lyrics in Simon and Garfunkel's "The Boxer" say : "... a man hears what he wants to hear. And disregards the rest."

Dublin is "the place" to go in Ireland, then Temple Bar for the "craic" after the game. Unlike Irish teams, the Welsh Régions are not renowned for their travelling support. So maybe the Sport's Ground allows Welsh supporters to feel not so outnumbered at away games?

I feel the underlying problem in all these discussions, is that you speak of "people's perceptions", which are not at all the same as the reality once folks get to the grounds. It's a bit like saying North Wales is the best Welsh Region to visit for the rugby. I've certainly nothing against North Wales Rugby Union Council nor the likes of Rygbi Gogledd Cymru (RGC).
However it'd be misleading to tell someone it was "the place" to go in Wales to watch a game. :holysheep:

Not knocking North Wales I've had great family holidays there. It's just we didn't go there with the expectation of great rugby, that's all.

You always get a snide remark in edgeways, don't you? Living aboard more than half my life has taught me to appreciate other cultures, to respect them, it's also made me a much more independant and responsible adult than I would have been if I stayed behind.

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Living aboard more than half my life has taught me to appreciate other cultures, to respect them, it's also made me a much more independant and responsible adult than I would have been if I stayed behind.

Touche'

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
L'irlandais

I have been to North Wales for a couple of six month stints back in the late 1980's. Both times I was based at RAF Sealand (just across the border from Chester) and travelled all along the north coast from Connahs Quay in the east to Rhosneigr in the west. A beautiful region but at that time, not a set of rugby posts in sight.

We were not allowed to go to Ireland at all (1980's, IRA, bombings and shootings targeted at British servicemen etc) so our hierarchy banned us from going there. However, without exception, every Kiwi I have ever met who has visited Ireland has told me what a beautiful place it is. Most include descriptions that go along the lines of "like New Zealand only smaller, cooler, older and greener".

Last edited:

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
A million overseas visitors (mostly from the UK) each year wouldn't agree with that statement!

It is a shame that you fail to understand we are talking about rugby here. Irish rugby does not interest us in the way that our traditional rivalries with the English sides do. I really am not sure if you don't want to understand, Do but you wish to introduce irrelevancies into things or simply can't understand the issues.

We don't travel because Irish rugby does not interest us. Do you understand?

I return your snide remarks. Digs that are nothing to do with the argument but you feel the need to include them. Debate the issues and I'll stick to the issues. Sauce for the goose and all that.

At the end of the day there will be a compromise until then all sides will put forward options that appeal to them. All sides will settle for some middle ground. It is how things work. Why are you unable to grasp this?

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Can the snidey snidey please stop?

Love and kisses

A Mod

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
... based at RAF Sealand (just across the border from Chester) ...[/I]
Hi Ian,
Last time I was in North Wales, must have been summer of 1999 (or maybe it was 2000:chin:) I recall staying in a holiday home overlooked Cardigan Bay with the Snowdonia mountain range as backdrop. Spreadout before us was RAF Llandbedr, (near Harlech) while it was DERA (Defence Evaluation and Research Agency). On slow days, I watched Hawk T1s (maybe? linked article suggests otherwise, so faulty memory may be in play) doing their touch and go circuits all day long.

Last edited:

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
True I should rise above his ramblings but part of me says: Why should he get away with it?

It's a pity that he feels the need to muddy the discussion with irrelevant comments but there it is.