Welsh Semi Pro Premiership got for 6!

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... So is it broken? Will it work?
It's only a trial; so if it doesn't work - it gets scrapped.

Last season though, we all saw how exciting games suddenly became when teams needed not only to win, but to win by a given margin of points. In fact, the last day of the last Six Nations was probably the most exciting days rugby I've ever seen.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I prefer the Australian version where conversion is increaed to 3 and penalty/DG reduced to 2.

But it needs strict policing of the cynical offences. :noyc:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I prefer the Australian version where conversion is increaed to 3 and penalty/DG reduced to 2.

But it needs strict policing of the cynical offences. :noyc:
I still prefer my idea that after a PK for goal, play should restart with a scrum to the non-offending side. That effectively increases the sanction for a penalty without changing the points values, and without imposing an extra burden on the referee to issue cards.

The proposed points change would make it more attractive to take the risk of giving away a penalty - it certainly is not a deterrent.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
It's only a trial; so if it doesn't work - it gets scrapped.

Last season though, we all saw how exciting games suddenly became when teams needed not only to win, but to win by a given margin of points. In fact, the last day of the last Six Nations was probably the most exciting days rugby I've ever seen.

Yes I do understand what a trial is. The point is will it work? Does history support the idea? How did 3 to 4 and 4 to 5 points for a try improve try scoring stats? How did reducing the value of the DG from 4 points to 3 "improve" the game by cutting down on DG attempts etc?

To your second point I fail to see its relevence. Ifyou need to score 30 points to win the league, this actually makes it easier. You only need 5 and not 6 tries!

Also the manufactured 6N finish was crazy. even Sky insist that the "deciding day games kick off together to aviod the lottery of who plays last gets the advantage. England benefited this time around. A few years ago it was Wales. Daft system even if it produced "excitement" at the end. Sort is supposed to be played on a level playing field

Last edited:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
The proposed points change would make it more attractive to take the risk of giving away a penalty - it certainly is not a deterrent.

I suspect the same. As something of an historian OB; can you enlighten us on the questions raised in my last post?

One unintended consequence of this particular trial might be... More draws! The points values are now 6T 2C 2P and 2DG so there is no "odd point" situation.

Last edited:

Wedgie

Referees in England
Post Likes
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/six-points-try-principality-welsh-9963275

Last season the Premiership averaged 5.5 tries & 46 points a game last year. Whereas the Pro 12 managed 4.4 tries and 40 points.

So is it broken?

Will it work?

Looks like there are a load of other adjustments in the pipeline as well....http://www.worldrugby.org/news/90108

Changes to Law19 look good. Proposed change to 20.6 looks like it is there to legalise what is not being enforced right now.....and remove a continued bone of contention.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
hooray to no turnover for a wheeled scrum

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Why not just make it 3T 1C 1P and 1DG? :shrug:

Because breaking scoring records has to get easier, and not harder. The excitement as some gets close to an "unbreakable" record.... :sarc:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Why not just make it 3T 1C 1P and 1DG? :shrug:
being serious the real reason why 6 / 2 / 2/ 2 is better than 3 / 1 / 1 / 1 is flexibilty for future changes -- it means 6 could become 5 or 7 and one or more of the 2 could become 1 or 3 - - which are all slighter relative adjustments than is possible starting from 3/1/1/1

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
being serious the real reason why 6 / 2 / 2/ 2 is better than 3 / 1 / 1 / 1 is flexibilty for future changes -- it means 6 could become 5 or 7 and one or more of the 2 could become 1 or 3 - - which are all slighter relative adjustments than is possible starting from 3/1/1/1

then make it 12 / 4 / 4 / 4 and increase flexibility further